Questions for you NY guys, possible relocation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Questions for you NY guys, possible relocation

Hey all, well my wife is thinking of taking a job in Manhatten, I will first say, I am used to the south, the warm weather and having my own space, 2 car garage etc to do work and at least a half acre of land to enjoy. So anyone live near or around the city can give me any idea how living is ? I am thinking I should just sell my powerstroke and have no vehicle as its too expensive to maintain it, taxes, fees, fuel, and no parking, and just take bus or metro ? Any help here guys ? Im pretty bummed right now,as I have no job there, and her's is paying under 6 figures, which I hear is hard to live on around Manhatten area. Is there towns etc thats not a bad commute to the city where you can rent a house and have some space ? I am in the sand box right now, and may just stay for the next few years until she decides to move back south. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The cost of living is OUTRAGEOUS. Rockland, Orange, Westchester, Nassau counties - pretty much anything with less than an hour commute - are also ridiculously expensive. I would never encourage anyone to move to New York if for nothing other than the taxes. I live upstate and like it here but... poor job market - unbelievable property and school taxes - cost of living expenses (8.25% sales tax, income tax, home heating etc) - I'm moving away when I retire and heading south. Looks like you're already one step ahead already
Old 10-04-2011, 04:53 PM

stay where your at.. i live in rockland maby 45 minutes to manhattan and the taxes are absolutly unreasonable takes me and my 2 brothers to pay for my grandmas house where we live.. if i wasnt born here i would never want to be here. i wouldnt wish NY on anyone as soon as i can im going as far south as i can
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM

I like living upstate, but there are certainly things that stink up here too, basically everything F350SD hit on. Taxes are the worst here. Job market is turning around slightly, but it depends what field you're in.

You couldn't pay me enough to move to NYC. I have a feeling you'll be the same. I like my garage, I like mowing my lawn, I like HAVING a lawn... I go to the city for weekend trips a couple times a year, it's a blast. About the time the weekend is up I'm ready to get the heck out of there though. 2 of you living in Manhattan with only one job paying less than 6 figures... good luck brother.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:10 PM

Hey bud, I have to agree with most of the posts except I do need to add something. I have lived in other states and travel for the diesel races all over the country (we compete) every weekend in the warmer months. The job availability is excellent here (depending on field ofcourse) and the environment is extremely busy! There are plenty of things to do and transportation is easy but a little pricey. I live 20 min from and work in NYC everyday. My shop is in LI and I work for a local rail road daily in NYC. The people here are very down to earth and I find many are from out of state in Manhattan area. Taxes do suck greatly! That and the traffic is horrible. Aside from that, it isnt half bad. Good luck whatever you do.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You can live for under 6 figures in the NY metro area, but due to the fact that our gun laws suck, you will be in jail for defending yourself with your non-NY compliant pistol lol. Im stuck here for another 10 years till I can retire. I would go to CT before I would stay in NY, but the City of New York dictates where I can live, and CT or NJ is not an option. See if the wife can get a job in Raleigh or Charlotte, she sounds educated since she was offered a job here in NY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.