Just moved to NH - shops / safety inspection regs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NYC F-350

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just moved to NH - shops / safety inspection regs?

Hey everyone,

I just moved up here to NH from VA and I'm looking for a good place to take my truck when I need some work done. I had an awesome guy I brought my truck to back in VA who did great work for a great price - he even had a military/fire/police discount on labor. Does anyone know of good, reputable places? I'm in Manchester for reference.

Also, how thorough are the state inspections? I think the only thing I'm mainly concerned about is for the exhaust system. VA had recently changed their inspections so they didn't do visual inspections of your exhaust system unless they thought you had a leak. I'm wondering if it's the same here, or if they actually check for your cat/muffler.

Thanks for they help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Inspection is not an issue. What are you looking to get done with the truck? I know a ford tech that does work on the side. Im in the Lakes Region (Laconia)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Emergency Services

What I'm concerned about is my 5" straight pipe exhaust and EGR delete. I know in VA they changed the inspection process so they don't look under the vehicle for a muffler/cat unless they suspect an exhaust leak. Plus, taking it to the shop my FD brought our fleet trucks gave me a bit of wiggle room as well. I'm not sure if they do a visual inspection here or not.

I'm in Manchester but I have some family up in Meredith. Depending on what the dude charges I might have to look into contacting him for future work. The only shop I've heard about here in NH so far is TMS Diesel in Weare.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 PM
information regurgitator

"Safety inspection" only, meaning lights, ball joints, tire tread depth, glass, parking brake, etc. Just the basics...No smog check, no visual inspection under the hood or under the truck for emissions equipment. You have nothing to be concerned about.
Originally from NH....
Old 10-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I work at a shop in Windham Nh. Insp on your truck is all visual. But NYC is wrong in the fact that if your cat and muffler are not there i am supposed to fail you for it. We do alot of work on 6.0s Done some headgaskets never cab off tho. Lots of turbos, injectors, egr+oil coolers and stc fittings. Pm me if i can help you out.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:21 PM
information regurgitator

*note to self:
Since I just moved back to NH, do not go to Windham for the inspection sticker.
linehaul likes this.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
*note to self:
Since I just moved back to NH, do not go to Windham for the inspection sticker.
Didn't say i would fail you for it just making sure your properly informed. I could happen to "see" it. The laws are rather messed up as thing like exhaust can not be altered from the factory style. But a flowmaster chambered style muffler is legal and a possibly quieter magnaflow straight threw muffler is not. Or a rear license plate need to be visiable and lighted but can not be moved from the factory location. There is alot of grey area for somethings. Anyone can argue all they want but i am a licensed inspector in Nh and do this day in and out. But i like so help people out when i can.

Last edited by Mstng5point0; 10-06-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.