Helena mechanics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Helena mechanics

Hey Helena area powerstrokers - who are you using for routine and emergency mechanical work in or around Helena? I took my new to me 2005 F-250 to G&J to do the EGR Delete/Oil cooler, in part because my work allowed for it, and in part because I didn't seem many options here.

But I wondering who anyone is using in the valley or close by?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
How do you feel about doing it yourself??? It is a weekend project for a total NEWB (what I was when I did the egr/oil cooler a year ago)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I actually know much more about this truck and diesel engines than I ever did about any of my gassers - so that said, I knew very little, in a practical sense, about my gassers. Definitely interested in working on my own truck and have and will continue to do that, but I lack the mechanical foundation of knowledge to tear down the engine. The electrical stuff - replacing the paddle mirrors I can handle with help from the internets. Changing the oil, filters no problem. But other than my lack of a real mechanic instinct, I also just don't have a foundation of knowledge.

For example, when G&J did the egr delete and oil cooler, I asked them to clean the turbo. They found the unison ring was bad. I don't know how the clean the turbo or identify the unison ring. Much less whether it is bad.

On top of that I have no garage, and this is a daily driver. And I work 6 days a week. So other that knowledge, a place, time and a strong mechanical sense (which I also lack) I'm all for doing it myself.

That said, I'm having some hard start issues now which is really what prompted this post since I am running out of things to check myself.

There is a Ford garage here and in Townsend, but paying shop rates on a modd'd F-250 for some reason gives me a sinking feeling. R&R has been around for a long time but my sense is that they are more of a heavy diesel shop. And there is one other place in town that has not gotten the best reviews.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM

Unfortunatly there is not a shop in town. I own a couple 6.0s that I keep running, have done studs, injectors, etc. Just let me know if you need some help, also have AE and lots of spare parts.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr99 View Post
Unfortunatly there is not a shop in town. I own a couple 6.0s that I keep running, have done studs, injectors, etc. Just let me know if you need some help, also have AE and lots of spare parts.
Awesome! I will send you a pm with my contact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.