Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiring 2008+ Power Fold/Telescope Mirrors into 1999-2007 SD Trucks - The OEM way

39K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Dante04SRT 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE: The install method detailed here pertains to the 08-12+ mirrors themselves and making the 2008+ switches work with those mirrors. If your truck did not come with lighted/heated mirrors to begin with, you may have to add some additional wires to make those functions work. I have not included directions for those functions in this HowTo; The information for those options is available via the Search tool.

Here's my write up on installing the 2008+ FACTORY mirror switch in your 99-07 SD/Ex for use with 2008+ towing mirrors. Doing it this way makes it look AND FUNCTION factory - This will ensure CORRECT up/down/left/right operation and give you the same fold operation as a 2008+ Superduty!

Since doing the 'homework' in my other thread on my "quest for fully functioning mirrors", I decided to create a new thread to give a detailed step by step.

I strongly encourage you to look through my initial thread and then when you're done, these directions will walk you through the process of making your 2008+ power folding/telescoping mirrors work like a factory install in your 99-07 Superduty or 00-05 Excursion.

Read this first:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...ory-fully-unctioning-08-12-power-mirrors.html

^^^ There are also a lot of good diagrams located here!

Please also post replies/comments in the original thread since they're not allowed here in the Repair section!

Before we start, this is meant to serve as a step by step guide. This is how I did the install on my personal truck. As with any mod, Do it at your own risk - I am not responsible for any damage! That being said, take your time and read through everything before you start!

A note to mention on part numbers: Ford seems to change their part numbers yearly, even though the part itself may not change. I recommend Tasca (TascaParts.com) to get the OEM stuff - Very good pricing.

Parts you will need:

2008+ OEM Tow Mirrors with Power Fold/Telescope
2006-2007 Superduty Window Switch bezel (with round mirror switch opening) **The 99-05 looks like it might be able to be cut to work, but I haven't tried. **
2008+ Power Mirror Switch w/ Folding (P/N 7L1Z-17B676-AA)
2008+ Power Mirror Switch wiring plug (P/N 3U2Z-14S411-DLA *see also WPT-219*) <--- I got my plug from a donor truck, so I haven't physically verified this part #. If someone has bought it, please let me know that it is correct.
2008+ Power Fold Module (commonly referred to as: PFM or power fold relay) - (8C3Z-14N089-A)
~25 feet (4x) of 16-18 AWG wiring. I recommend just using trailer wire. All 4 wires come glued together and you can get 25' for less than $20 at most parts stores (You may need additional wiring if adding these mirrors to a truck that didn't already have heated/lighted mirrors)
Universal DPDT momentary switch (on-off-on) - For power telescope - I got mine from Ebay
Add-A-Circuit fuse tap (P/N BP/HHH)
7.5 amp fuse for fuse tap
5 pin relay socket (not an absolute must, but it does make for a cleaner install)
At least 6-12 female spade connectors (I used the red plastic ones)
Misc wire connectors, heat shrink tubing and soldering iron if you choose that method
LOTS of zip ties
Multi-Pin connector for the new mirrors (12+ pins) if you want to make them removable

Tools you will need:

Basic hand tools
Wire strippers
Connector crimpers
Sharp razor knife
PATIENCE!

READY? Here we go... First things first, I used my '05 F350 Lariat as the test truck for this mod - Since my truck already had wiring for power/lighted/heated mirrors, I only had to run 4 new wires in each door (+1 in driver's door for the switch). If your truck doesn't have these features already, you'll need to add the appropriate wiring in the doors to accomodate them.

Start by removing your front door panels. They're very easy to take off. Simply lift the switch bezel up and remove the wire plugs from it. There is a small screw behind the bezel - Remove it. On the lower end of the door, carefully remove your red reflector. There is a screw behind it as well. Then, make sure you remove the cover at the top of the door panel that's in the front corner of the door (it just pops off). Lift the door panel off and step one is done!

Remove the speakers from the doors and set them aside. Next, find the mirror wire harness and separate the two ends. Then, remove the 4 nuts holding the old mirror on. The old mirror can now be carefully removed.

Before bolting the new mirrors on, you'll need to shave the little tab on the back side. I used a hack saw and cut it off. If it doesn't make sense yet, it will when you get your 08 mirrors in hand.

You can feed the new mirrors' wiring into the door and bolt the new mirror on using the 4 nuts from the old mirror. Feed the wiring through the same path as the originals.

Next comes the commitment...... Cutting the factory harnesses. In my case, I couldn't find any 08+ harnesses to splice the mirror wiring onto, so I decided to cut the connector off of the mirror (right at the connector to save wiring length) and also my '05's factory mirror connector in the door.

Take a breather and continue on...

Next, run the new wiring into the doors. It's not very difficult at all to get wiring into the doors. The rubber wire cover between the body and doors can be easily moved aside to feed the wire through. You may need to remove the sill plate and the side kick panels (sill plate just pulls up, kick panel has one plastic screw-type thing). Just make sure you leave a tiny bit of slack on the wiring as it passes through the rubber connector so nothing pinches. I then used zip ties to attach my new wires to the existing wiring, following the same path. You'll need to give some thought to where you want your wiring to live under the dash. In my case, I used the space next to the fuse panel, covered by the lower dash cover. Plenty of space and good access to power and grounds. Repeat the wire process for the other door. REMEMBER to run a wire in the driver's door for the mirror switch!

Next, using this wiring scheme, you'll need to make some new connections at the mirrros. Thanks to 03_Turbo7.3, who first posted this wiring breakdown!

Option#1

Drivers side

08 mirror wiring- 05-07 stock wiring

red- red
black - black
black w/white stripe- green w/purple stripe
yellow w/blue- yellow
yellow w/red- yellow
green- green w/white
brown- brown

Passenger side

08 mirror wiring- 05-07 stock wiring

brown- brown
black - black
white- white w/blue stripe
green- green
white w/mint green stripe -yellow
white w/pint stripe - yellow(if your truck does not have 2 yellow just connect to the single yellow)
pink- purple

Option#2

Driver's side:
08 mirror 06 mirror
-Red w/ Silver tracer -Red
-Yellow w/ Silver tracer -Yellow
-Blue w/ Silver tracer -Blue
-Mint Green -Green
-Black -Black
-Black w/ White tracer -Black w/ White tracer OR Green w/ Purple tracer
-Brown -Brown

Passenger's Side:
08 mirror 06 mirror
-Green w/ Silver tracer -Green
-Yellow w/ Silver tracer -Yellow
-Purple w/ Silver tracer -Purple
-White -White OR White w/ Blue tracer
-Black -Black
-Black w/ White tracer -Black w/ White tracer OR Green w/ Purple tracer
-Brown -Brown

Here is some additional stuff, some of which is duplicate of the above:

08-11 Mirror: Drivers side

Black-Ground
power fold:
-purple with blue stripe +
-purple w/yellow stripe -
power extend:
-orange +
-orange w/blue stripe -
Brown- Positive lead Marker light
Green- Positive Signal light Lead
Black/white tracer- Heated mirror option
Red/silver dots- Power mirror
Blue/silver dots- Power mirror
Yellow/silver dots- Power mirror

08-11 Mirror: Passenger side mirror

Black-Ground
power fold:
-purple with blue stripe +
-purple w/yellow stripe -
power extend:
-orange +
-orange w/blue stripe -
Brown- Positive lead Marker light
White- Positive Signal light Lead
Black/white tracer- Heated mirror option
Purple/silver dots- Power mirror
Green/silver dots- Power mirror
Yellow/silver dots- Power mirror

If you don't plan on removing the mirrors, you can simply solder or use wire crimps to connect the wires together at the mirror. In my case, I used a universal male/female connector to make mine removable. The purple and orange wires on my new mirrors were connected to the new wiring I pulled in and I landed the wiring under my dash as mentioned above.

Now comes time for the switch itself. Since my truck used the same switch as the 99-05s, I had to cut my factory mirror switch off and connect the new 08+ wiring and connector on. If your truck is a 2006-07, you may not have to cut anything; You may be able to simply add the 8th wire - The connectors are the same. Here is how the 99-07 wiring colors correspond to the 08+ mirror plug:

2008 ---- 99-07 (at least on my 05)

GREEN/RED (mine was red/violet) ---- Orange/Green
Black/Violet (mine was black/wht) ---- Black
Gray ---- Yellow
Gray/Brown **power fold**

Brown/White ---- Dark Green
Brown/Blue ---- Red

Yellow/Violet ---- Violet
Blue/Green ---- Dark Blue

I soldered the wires and used heat shrink to cover the splices:

*** If you bought the plug separately and only have black wires coming out of the plug, the layout below will help you figure out which wires are which:

Next, you'll need to know where you're going to install your power extend switch. It can be done anywhere, really. I chose the dash to fill a hole that already existed. I would advise against the door panel itself (removable bezels are ok) because if you ever have to take the door panel off again, you'll have to remove the switch/wiring each time.

Once you've chosen the location of your switch, cut the hole and install it! The DPDT switch is VERY easy to wire up. I followed this diagram:

Whichever wires you used to splice onto the 08's orange wires will need to be run up to this switch. In my case, I connected the wires coming from the doors together (both orange-blues together and both oranges together) and then ran a single wire to the switch for each orange and orange/blue colored wire (2 total). You'll also want to run a power and ground wire to the switch and hook 'em up to it.

You'll connect to power/ground in a bit, so no worries there...

Next comes the wiring for the power fold module. I used a Bosch style 5 pin automotive relay connector so that my module was easily removable if I needed. I used something like this:

Next, you'll simply use this diagram to make your connections (the purple wires from the mirrors that you extended earlier will connect to pins 2 & 5):

At this point, you need to be thinking about getting power and ground. Ground is easy to find under the dash - The metal bracing of the dash will be fine. Find a good attachment point and the rest should be self explanatory. As for +12V, I used the Add-A-Circuit to tap an ALWAYS HOT circuit. I used a 7.5amp fuse and that has worked fine. Pick a hot fuse, install the tap. NOTE: You will need to trim the bracing on the inside of the cover to allow room for the tap and wiring.

One you've got power and ground, connect them to the PFM Module wiring (refer to pic above), and also to your power extend switch. I tied the +12V in parallel (y'd it with both the module and telescope switch). Make sure also that you've connected that extra wire you ran in your door (from the mirror switch) to your PFM @ pin #4.

BEFORE installing your door panels and buttoning everything up, go ahead and test your new switches! If your power extend switch operates reverse of how you mounted it, simply flip the switch upside down. Your power fold mirrors may or may not be out of sync with the switch. If they are, do a search, it's easy to remedy. Mine weren't and worked right out of the gate.

After testing everything and making adjustments as needed, reinstall your speakers, door panels and misc dash plastics. BEFORE you install your new mirror switch into your 06-07 switch bezel, you'll need to make a minor adjustment. First, you'll have to add a notch to the front side of the switch hole:

Next, you'll need to trim a tiny bit of the door panel off (will be covered by the bezel):

Because the 08+ switch installs 180* reverse of the 06-07, I would recommend installing the bezel and sticking the switch plug out of the hole. THEN - Install the switch into the bezel. In my experience it worked much smoother this way.

Here's the finished result:

ENJOY YOUR NEW MIRRORS!

When you're done, you should have mirrors that operate like this:

See less See more
1 14
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.