6.4 possibilities - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 possibilities

Hey everyone,

Im looking to trade my 03 6.0L in, but im torn between an 07 ish 6.0L or an 08 6.4L. I know what im getting into with the 6.0L but not so much with the 6.4. Now i know 07 and earlier is emissions exempt but i was wondering what i would need to do to a 6.4 to get it to pass an inspection after deleting the DEF filter and and running a turbo back, or downpipe back exhaust. Im not sure if the DEF is the same as the Cat on these but i also want to run catless. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 08,with a black max tuner and run only a straight pipe for exhaust. I purchased the whole kit from rudys diesel performance. and every year when its time for an inspection sticker I have to de-tune the truck and put the factory exhaust back on drive it for 100 miles go get my sticker then re-tune the truck and put the straight pipe back on.well worth it for the power gain and mileage.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Premium Member

thats a pain in the rear. This state sucks lol
Old 11-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

cowboy, how long have you had your 08
Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Bruins Fanatic

Why are you looking to trade a 6.0 for a 6.0? My 07 just ran into the typical issues and is getting bulletproofed as we speak.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

honestly, i had no major mechanical issues with my 6.0. im trading because ive replaced a lot of parts due to rust and rot, and will be starting a family soon and would like a back seat. id keep this truck if it wasnt for the rust and it being a regular cab, it does need an icp sensor and a wheel bearing at the moment and already had the egr cooler upgraded.I love the 6.0 personally but i cannot afford a 6.7 and im hearing the 6.4 is a night mare and much more expensive then the 6.0 to fix, but i want to hear from those who own a 6.4 as to how they are.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

im not going to be making big power, my plan is to get rid of the egr cooler for a bulletproof egr cooler and just turn the egr valve off, that worked on my 03 no problem. someday when i get the truck studded ill do tunes but till then i wont be.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Bruins Fanatic

Want to swap turbo's before you get rid of it? lol Other than these issues arising, my trucks been great to me. Only has 113k on it.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

lol if anything id steal it for my new one lol. But yea, ive spent alot on rust repair, oil pan, egr cooler rotted out externally not internally, rear emergency brake and dust shield. All in all i think i have done about 5 grand or so in rust repair and the bed and both doors are rotting out. its a shame these trucks (not just ford either) arent holding up to the new england winters.... i only need an egr valve, icp sensor, and wheel bearing and the truck would be fine mechanically....
Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

the 6.4's make me nervous though. Hey do you know if the 07's are emissions exempt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.