Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I am in MA.

24K views 151 replies 73 participants last post by  mikeb01453 
#1 ·
Ok folks, whom else is from MA? I live on the Cape.

#2 ·
although this is an older post and im new here i am also from the wonderful land of taxes.im in plymouth.

#5 ·
Wilmington here:chicken:

#8 ·
New member here from Middleboro, MA

#16 ·
Im from the next town over from ya man! Im down in bellingham. Right on the border of milford.

#15 ·
Pittsfield ma Here Western Ma

#18 ·
Nice truck BLKLSC that things sick. What size lift and tired you got?

#21 ·
Yeah I'm thinking about getting a 4" or 6" lift soon. Rig looks good man. If I see ya around I'll give ya honk sure I won't miss ya hahaha.

#23 ·
I'm over in Great Barrington MA a lot, my work takes me over there, and I also have family in the area, so I do spend some time over there.

-BG06.

#25 ·
Brighton, MA PSD newbie here...need a mechanic!

hey how's it going?

I moved to Brighton, MA earlier this year (was in Whitman, MA before).

MY PSD is an '01 7.3 - I have a Greasecar kit that allows me to run vegetable oil in the truck; I've had the kit for over 2 years & have put about 50k miles on it while running on vegetable oil for about 75% of the time - no problems at all.

However, I'm pretty ignorant and not all that mechanically inclined, so I generally have my work done at this place in Norwood.

They mostly do a good job (I think) but I'm starting to think they don't know the powerstrokes all that well.

I asked them to look at the glow plugs, and to let me know how much it would cost to replace them...the owner called me later and said that the '01 7.3 doesn't have glow plugs, but has a fuel filter heater element (which I've heard of) and possibly some sort of element built into the injectors.

He's claiming that in order to replace the 'glow plug' functionality I'd have to replace the injectors!!?!?!?!!

From what I understand, the valve covers would have to come off and possibly the glow plugs are part of/attached to the valve cover harnesses, but they are not part of the injectors???

Does anyone have any input on this as well as a good powerstroke mechanic recommendation (between Boston & Walpole and surrounding areas)?

I'd like to possibly get the glow plugs replaced before winter really sets in.

thanks in advance for any help that you guys can provide...

#26 ·
Does anyone have any input on this as well as a good powerstroke mechanic recommendation (between Boston & Walpole and surrounding areas)?

I'd like to possibly get the glow plugs replaced before winter really sets in.

thanks in advance for any help that you guys can provide...
Check out Mass Diesel in Walpole, MA. Good shop they got running over there.

Mass Diesel Performance

#27 ·
This is on a side note here but how much time do you find it takes to collect and clean your WVO? I'm thinking of converting over this summer to a dual tank set up and get a centerfuge (spelling I know) set up for filtering and dewatering. How much did the conversion cost you? Any problems at all?

#28 ·
I'm pretty lucky; I get my oil from a local wing place in Brighton - they're psyched to see me (since they don't have to pay for oil removal)...so, they suck the oil through a screen/filter, then pump it back into the 5 gal. containers & keep it inside - all of which makes for fairly clean oil. Plus they don't use hydrogenated oil, which makes for easier filtering.

I pour the oil through a homemade spout/funnel (the top end of a 5 gal. container w/ some cheesecloth attached) to filter out any large chunks - I pour it into a 55 gal. drum that has 3 holes cut in the top.

In the 3 holes, I have denim jean pant legs that I stapled/safety-pinned shut at the bottom (with a wire coat hanger in a cuff at the top end to provide some rigidity & keep the 'filter sock'/denim leg from slipping into the drum).

Once the oil filters through the 'sock' I pump it out with a rotary hand pump that I screwed into the smaller bung hole...I attached a goldenrod fuel filter to the outlet of the pump...the oil comes out filtered down to 5-10 microns. I usually change my spin-on filter (in the truck) at about every oil change /3000 or so miles.

Basically the setup that I have for filtering is the one that Dana Linscott sells plans for...I could try to find the link somewhere if you need it - or feel free to come over & check out my setup.

My roommates run workshops on how to convert diesel engines; mostly they do older Mercedes & Volkswagens, but they've done a few heavy duty trucks as well. My kit is from Greasecar, the kit cost me $1200 & I paid the Greasecar guy $1500 to install it...if you're at all mechanically inclined you could install a kit on your own (and probably mod it a bit for more heat/quicker switch over times) and save a few bucks...

Let me know if you want to check it out (or see the filtering setup)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.