San Antonio traffic ticket lawyers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Lone Star Powerstrokes Texas Chapter

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry San Antonio traffic ticket lawyers

So I'm taking the family to seaworld this weekend and some prick dps cop pulls me over on 1604 by military and asks me why my exhaust was so loud, he goes on about my muffler and said my 2000 f250 is supposed to have a cat too I was trying to keep my cool hoping he wouldn't give me a ticket but he did and he checked all around my truck looking for stuff, he asked me how old my little girl was and gave me a ticket for no car seat (I know my fault) so I got 2 tickets, one for loud exhaust and one for car seat. I live and Dallas so I can't afford to miss work and come down and dispute it. Can anyone refer me to a traffic lawyer or tell me how I can try to fight this, I know the car seat citation is like $230 but it didn't say about the muffler violation. my truck has been to west Texas and as far as Minnesota and never had any problems until today, good thing I didn't have the smoke tune on.
Sorry about the long post but I'm still pissed and it turned out to be a sh*ty day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you can find on the sticker on the engine if it's supposed to have a catalyst or not you can get that taken care of. It shouldn'tve come with a cat. And as long as you have a muffler you're legal.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:53 PM

My truck was missing the sticker when I bought it, I can see the outline of it on the paint, and I don't have a muffler that's been gone for a few years, I have been thinking about the walker BTM, I guess I'll have to get one now.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 PM

It more than likely didn't come with a cat. Unless it's a Cali truck. That's the only LEGAL place he has a hold you. Loudness doesn't have anything to do with a state inspection so that shouldn't hold water. The muffler could.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 PM

Turbo counts as a muffler since it baffles the raw sound from the valves in most cases.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhoghp View Post
Turbo counts as a muffler since it baffles the raw sound from the valves in most cases.
Yea, I wanted to say that but I didn't want to piss him off
Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhoghp View Post
Eh it's debatable both ways. I never got a straight answer on that when I went to my inspector training class.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj5.0 View Post
Yea, I wanted to say that but I didn't want to piss him off
I probably would have said it simply to piss him off..... I'm not sure why but I'd rather pay a fine and see a cop be steaming than bite my tongue...
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dont know if this will help.

Texas transportation code Sec. 541.203. EQUIPMENT. In this subtitle:

(1) "Exhaust emission system" means a motor vehicle engine modification designed to control or reduce the emission of substances from a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year of 1968 or later, and installed on or incorporated in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with requirements imposed by the Motor Vehicle Air Pollution Control Act (42 U.S.C. Section 1857 et seq.) or other applicable law.
(3) "Muffler" means a device that reduces noise using:
(A) a mechanical design, including a series of chambers or baffle plates, to receive exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine; or

(B) turbine wheels to receive exhaust gas from a diesel engine.

Sec. 547.604. MUFFLER REQUIRED. (a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnking350 View Post
Dont know if this will help.

Texas transportation code Sec. 541.203. EQUIPMENT. In this subtitle:

(1) "Exhaust emission system" means a motor vehicle engine modification designed to control or reduce the emission of substances from a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year of 1968 or later, and installed on or incorporated in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with requirements imposed by the Motor Vehicle Air Pollution Control Act (42 U.S.C. Section 1857 et seq.) or other applicable law.
(3) "Muffler" means a device that reduces noise using:
(A) a mechanical design, including a series of chambers or baffle plates, to receive exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine; or

(B) turbine wheels to receive exhaust gas from a diesel engine.

Sec. 547.604. MUFFLER REQUIRED. (a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.
Well
Where did you find that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.