96-99ish modded cummins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96-99ish modded cummins

not really a kill story, wasnt a race but...

Driving in NJ next to a black dodge extended cab long bed lifted truck, had big ol smoke stacks on it and muddin tires... 35s at i guess, they looked small compared to its lift imo though.

It was a manual truck, seemed sluggish sounding but figured it would open up when he got in it fully, after making a right and going down a 2 lane semi-highway, he gets on it from a 25mph roll from a light in front of me and at nighttime, blows so much soot up in the air that all the cars along side me "behind the dodge truck" slowed down, couldnt see a dammed thing. It didnt appear very fast, but what do i know, he was onlyk on it for a few seconds at best. When he did let off "and in a cloud of blackness", the blow off valve/wastegate shut so hard that it sounded more like a metal plate gate slammed shut with suction force... like a vacuum cleaner going along the wall where it can't suck from the 1" hose much.. but louder!

Didnt smell like heavy unburned deisel, so im guessing propane injection too? smelled almost more chemicalish than diesel than anything.

the g/f wasnt too impressed, then says im provoking the ****** to drive like that. Yeah i think its cool to puff a little black smoke here and there but even the 06 F350 dually i was in with an aftermarket turbo, intake, 4" dp exhaust/no cat and sct race tune runs 90% clean... imo id be embarrassed if anything i drove made that much smoke when on the gas... but whatever, im 30 so maybe im maturing a little!

What could this guy have had done to it? injectors? turbo.. propane? Does that model 5.9 cummins just do that in general with a tune?

Going to guess it at least had, injectors, turbo, blow off valve, intake, had stacks obviously, tune.

Almost was more funny than amusing. Honestly i think the red tuned F350 in my sig would have kept up with the thing, but again, maybe it was a mid 12 second truck and he was just not on it long enough to find out.

it seemed to blow out a lot more black smoke than this truck ...
.... this seems closer, but still not as much, maybe because it was dark... i mean i have a 5k 60w ballast dual HID kit on the F350 and couldnt see the yellow lines on the road 5 feet in front of the truck at 40mph... cars next to me pulled off the side of the road and slowed down. This is about as close as i can find lol

Last edited by RamAirfreak98ss; 07-15-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Maybe it was a 12 valve 5.9? Those things are smoky SOB's with bigger injectors and fuel plate mods and whatnot. I have a buddy with a 12 valve with big sticks, and it's just stupid how much smoke it throws out under WOT. I also have a buddy with a 24 valve 5.9 with just a programmer, and it's smokey, but nowhere near what you described.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 PM

Ok, guess I'm putting my .02 n but
My brother has had a Cummins sense he got out of college. Had 3 24v. 1 12v His first was nasty, but junk. Second was probably the meanest n the county ( blue chip, edge timing box, big big sticks, l10 Cummins turbo, etc etc..) then the12v pushing almost 800 ponies, he actually dynoed it (bigger fuel lines, believe custom injectors over 375, extreme pump work, bigger pistons, cam, so on and so on) truck was built to pull, but then he changed gears to make it a dd. Fun to start n the winter hahaha.... last is stock other then a mpg chip (finally grew up)
Sorry but them Cummins are all Smokey sob's except for his current one, seemed like the 98.5-02 chip them with the right chip n sticks and good by sight and cars Idk just glad the psds ain't really like that, personally I like to see a small puff now and then, but I also like to see behind me

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-16-2012, 05:45 AM

in the videos that looks about normal for a modded cummins... they just kidnof do that. its a motor capable of fueling really hard and its powerband is short so the smoke just gets dumped out at once i guess
Old 07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A lot of cummins' are super smoky cuz its easy to make them that way. A dodge, like any other diesel can be built to run clean. But I guess some guys think smoke means power...
Old 08-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Banned

OP, more than likely it was a slug of a 12v cummins w/ a fuelplate/afc tuning, and the silencer ring removed. They are smokey, loud pigs that dont move very fast. The silencer ring makes the wastegate super loud in those trucks, and fuel mods like afc/fuel plate will make them pour smoke.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
OP, more than likely it was a slug of a 12v cummins w/ a fuelplate/afc tuning, and the silencer ring removed. They are smokey, loud pigs that dont move very fast. The silencer ring makes the wastegate super loud in those trucks, and fuel mods like afc/fuel plate will make them pour smoke.
Yes sir, you are right. Removing the fuel plate and "turning the smoke screw" make them smoke like no other. The "smoke screw" is actually an adjustment for pre boost fueling. Black smoke does not mean more power (in most cases).
Old 08-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Banned

^Yeppers. They like to peg the boost screw (which is to control the initial lite of the turbo.. and actually put OUT the flame from dumping too much fuel). Then they think that taking the silencer ring out will make them SEEM fast, when in reality, they are just noisy and smokey.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My guess was dirty aftermarket injectors, and IP mods like the above. Add into that a stock charger that wont flow enough air to clean up the fuel, and thats your recipe for smoke.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
thanks.. yeah the sounds it made were godawful nasty lol. It would be enough for me not to want to race.. seeing how a couple of our 06 F350s move from 50-80mph though with the SCT custom tunes, intake and exhausts though.... id at least have kept up and without all the smoke and loud noises "sans the exhaust i have".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.