Killed a cummins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Killed a cummins

Well it was actually mine. I was driving my 99 dodge 2500 with the 24v in it headed to the world dairy expo right here in Madison Wisconsin and i got to the parking lot entrance and it died on me. It just shook and then died. I havnt had a chance to diagnose it yet but i have a feeling that my $1,400 injection pump went bad. Now i will have to add that to my $733 snow plow bracket, $347 high prformance lift pump and fuel lines, and $650 in tires, plus a shift kid and tranny fluid! Talk about a money pit!! Just so you know these 24v cummins motors are not as great as anybody says they are, mostly because of the vp44 injection pump. Sure the block and everything will last along time, but the rest of the motor isnt that great especially the fuel system. And my block is also the infamous "53" block which has had a history of cracking. I'm sorry i'm just venting a little bit and i wish i would have bought a good old 7.3l, instead of the cummins. On the bright side i get to drive my powerstroke even more now, until i get it fixed. I'll try to get some pictures up of my psd pulling my broken cummins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEWILLE View Post
Just so you know these 24v cummins motors are not as great as anybody says they are

I was thinking the same thing tonight

as I blew the doors off one with my good ol' 7.3

sorry to hear about your broke down truck.. but pics of it being towed by a ford would be a good conversation piece
Old 10-06-2007, 03:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not to jack the thread but here are pics of me pulling my brothers Dodge 4dr LB Dually on a heavy *** bulldozer trailer with my '04 F-250 6.0L.
This was in the middle of the night one night. His truck dropped oil pressure to the turbo and it locked up.
Truck and trailer weighed in at over 13.5k pounds not counting the weight of my truck too...

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ls_dodge_1.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ls_dodge_2.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ls_dodge_3.jpg

Kinda crummy quality from my cellphone ><
Old 10-06-2007, 05:07 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
Sorry to hear about your troubles but pics would make it all better!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Sure the block and everything will last along time, but the rest of the motor isnt that great especially the fuel system. And my block is also the infamous "53" block which has had a history of cracking.
Thats what I heard. Everything around the block is made by dodge so thats promising.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:04 PM

If you dont mod it or tow heavy, your block mostly likely wont ever crack. The problem with those isnt so much the VP, but the lift pump. The VP is lubricated with the fuel, so the lift pump goes out, no fuel, thus no lubrication=failed VP. Other than that, theres nothin wrong with them. Bummer about your truck...has it been acting funny? If its all-of-a-sudden with no warnig, doesnt really sound like a VP...
Old 10-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
bummer man -- sorry to hear about your problems -- but at least you have the PSD
Old 10-07-2007, 04:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Quote:
these 24v cummins motors are not as great as anybody says they are, mostly because of the vp44 injection pump.
An injection pump that has a history of failing because of bad lift pumps does not give the entire 24cv engine a bad reputation. That's like someone saying the 7.3's aren't as good as everyone says they are because the cam sensors go out all the time.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post
Bummer about your truck...has it been acting funny? If its all-of-a-sudden with no warnig, doesnt really sound like a VP...
Yeah it has had a little bit longer crank time, lower power, but no dead pedal. I cracked the lines at the injectors and got no pressure so i checked powers and grounds to the ecm, and the fuel pump control module and had good ground and the right voltages. It has been getting 14 psi at idle and wide open throttle because i installed a walbro system, but i guess it was just a little to late to save it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.