One of the many reasons I will never own a Chevy... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
One of the many reasons I will never own a Chevy...

If you are expecting a true "kill" story about my truck smoking a duraturd, and said duraturd destroying tie-rods or going into limp mode, I am sorry to disappoint. However if you like pics of a Chevy doing what a Chevy does best-- being useless, please read on.

Today at work, I was driving around the job site in my company truck (2004 2500HD, 6.0 Vortec), giving my client, WisDOT, a tour of the jobsite. At regular intervals, I was pulling off the road and parking on the shoulder to show them an area of special interest. In one such area, I was beginning to pull over, and felt the front of the truck start to sink, naturally, I proceed to apply additional horsepower and turn the truck back onto the road. However, the Chevy had a mind of its own, and slid further into the soft shoulder and sinking into the mud. Even switching to what passes for 4 wheel drive (open differentials front and rear, so really 2 wheel drive ) was no help. With two of the worn, highway tread tires in the mud, I was thoroughly stuck, and embarrassed... Luckily, there was a utility contractor was nearby to pull it out with a backhoe, but not before some incriminating pictures were taken:

PS: I did not have my truck at work, i prefer to drive my car that gets 38 mpg to work Otherwise there would lots of pics of a PSD dragging the Chevy back to safety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Been there, done that.

Although I have to give the 2000 chebby I had credit.... I had that thing up to the axles in mud a few times.... only got stuck once!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Yeah I am sure this is not the first time I'll get this truck stuck, I am kinda nervous about taking it out on the grade this spring...

Hmmm, I wonder if they'll notice if I put four new mud tires and tow strap on my expense report
Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have to completely agree about not ever owning a Chevy my company truck is a 2011 duramax 3500 dually 4x4 we tow offroad a lot and well this thing never survives I've used my PSD at work a lot lately and I've pulled out my coworkers in the duramaxes I Gota get some pictures up soon. The main problem with them Chevys is their IFS it's just not built for anything but 2wd on road work

From my super magical phone!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I hope Ford never wimps out and put that sissy IFS crap in the Superdutys! The Dmax is a good engine, and the Allison is tough but the trucks are sissy, IMO.

Ford builds TRUCKS, Chevy builds pickups...
Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sorry that you have to drive that every day, Adam... Hopefully they issued you a bag for your head as standard equipment.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have to agree with cook. the engine is super quiet and the tranny is super. too bad they woosed out on the truck to make it a car. from the reviews i have read the 2012's are something to be reconed with. we need to see what ford can come up with

bailey
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
With two of the worn, highway tread tires in the mud, I was thoroughly stuck, and embarrassed...
Hate to say it but burying any truck in the mud like that with worn highway treads would probably get stuck .

Maybe this is why for some reason I have 305 70 mud grapplers......sounds like a bi-plane going down the road but would probably get out of that situation, after I got out and stood in that mud to lock my hubs
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Way to go Adam.....Learn how to drive

Just joking man, That sure is alot of mud for a Durapad LOL
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Haha yeah I am hearing alot of the learn how to drive crap

The sad part was the the two tirs on the drivers side were about 3 inches from the edge of the pavement on the gravel shoulder... a truck with limited slip probably could have got out...

I tried really hard to get myself out, and it just sunk deeper.

That truck rides nice sownthe highway, but is totally gutless, and handles awful! My PSD which is a good foot taller wil corner much better

and no they did not give me a paper bag, but I just wear sunglasses and a hard hat so no one recognizes me... and I never work close to home .

All I know is that my Ford would have walked right out of there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.