2005 6.0 vs 2011 6.2 raptor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 vs 2011 6.2 raptor

Well...now that my uncle's truck has been up and running like a champ...me and my brother got a wild hair to give each other a run on each other. My brother owns a 2011 F-150 Raptor; and we've been itching to see what it's made of for a while

to get things started, Mods are as follows:

2005 f-350 4x4, ccsb 6.0 PSD
-6" lift with 37x14.50-20 M/T's on 20x10 Fuel Octanes
-ARP studs
-EGR delete
-K&N intake
-5" FBD turbo-back exhaust
-SCT x3 on canned performance tune(no custom tunes, yet )

2011 F-150 Raptor 4-door, 6.2L v8
-Stock on stock on stockkk

We did a few runs, and since the superduty was having issues getting 4x4 to lock in properly...all runs in the superduty were done in 2wd, and with the truck already boosted up. After each run, the f-350 was driven slow and gentle for a few miles to help make sure things keep cool(cough cough especially stock turbo)

First race-from a dig; raptor in 4x4

from the launch, the raptor put 1 1/2 truck lengths on me and kept it til we shut down. It didn't even squeal a tire. f-350 spun through first before grabbing the concrete.

Second race-from a dig; raptor in 2wd
Both vehicles spun through first gear, and the raptor put on a car-length in second gear yet again and held it. very close matchup but the raptor definately proved that it puts down the power better off the line. Seems that the raptor suffers from some severe wheel-hop though.

Third race- 15MPH roll, both in 2wd

We started from 15mph, and on the honk, the f-350 immediately put 1/2 truck-length on the raptor and continued to slowly pull away til about 60 mph, when we shut down. at 60 MPH the f-350 had a full truck-length.

Fourth Race- 30MPH roll, both in 2wd

From 30MPH to about 70, the race was almost identical to the last one. the super duty was ahead by about a truck length.

Final race- 50MPH roll

From 50 MPH, things got a little more interesting. The f-350 had pulled about a truck length between 50 to 70, and then from 70 to 90 the raptor started reeling us back in. When we shut down at 90, the superduty had about a fender on the raptor...but if we had kept on going...the raptor would have probably passed us and kept pulling until one of our speed limiters would have taken over...or a turbo would have melted down...whichever comes first hahaha

My Final thoughts:
The raptor is, without doubt, a remarkable piece of machinery. They definitely live up to their purpose of being a street-legal baja race machine. I think that the 6.2 is definitely lacking in terms of performance from what I would have expected. It is a slug, for sure, but it does seem very solid. Just doesn't seem as snappy as the 6.1 Hemi in my SRT-8 Jeep(which smokes the *** off of the raptor, btw), this truck suffers from a lot of throttle lag. Would like to see how a modified one runs.

Given that the 6.0 powerstroke has it's undeserved reputation of being a "junker"....this has thoroughly impressed me in the terms of how capable this motor is. For a 6.0 running on a canned tune, it is definitely a monster. But with custom tunes? oh my, I'm curious how that would have made a difference. Makes me feel sad getting into my own, bone stock 6.0 after beating on this truck... But i love my truck, so that's okay with me. Given that the truck is lifted, and turning some rather large tires with stock gears.... I would venture to say that on a truck with stock tire sizes, these races would have been no contest... The f-350 would have left it in a cloud of smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My boss has a 2011 Raptor as well. He's let me drive it a handful of times. Definitely a bad *** truck but this is funny to hear. He would definitely get bent out of shape to get beat by a diesel. I have a 7.3 with a catless turbo back, 6637 intake, John woods valve body, and a PHP phoenix chip. All on stock height and stock size tires too. I know the 6.0's are quick and you kept up with that one but maybe I should give my boss a run for his money.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

nice i raced a raptor before..... let me just say those things are fasttttt

maybe if i didnt have 37's
Old 02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

If you can talk your uncle to get tunes from Matt at gearheads(extreme SRL) you would smoke that raptor in every race,that is if you could get 4wd to work.In 2wd with that tune and no boost up I lay down a 150 foot patch, with 37" tires before I get hooked up.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yeah if you had a good tune on the 6.0 the raptor would of been beat, hands down.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Damn, that's still pretty impressive
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I drove a 6.2 raptor not too long ago, they're pretty quick trucks. But Seat of the pants feeling is that it's not as fast as my tuned 6.0
Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 AM

I agree with Fantom, I have a 6.0 with gearhead custom tunes and the 6.2 that I drove felt as if it wouldt keep up with my truck. I wish I knew somebody with one lacaly so that we could race to find out!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, after the theft of my ol' faithful truck... I've purchased a brand spankin' new harley F150 with the 6.2.

Next time that old man comes back into town.. I'll shoot videos and post them. Curious to see how it turns out this go-around. I believe my truck is geared differently than the raptors are. the difference in tire size may make it interesting aswell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.