how to launch a diesel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how to launch a diesel?

looked around to find out exactly. always have had my "ricer" to take care of business if i ever needed/wanted to race someone. the psd had always just been a fun off road and work truck, but after reading all these kill stories, i gotta know. whats the most legit way to launch one of these bad boys? i have an 01 7.3 auto with the flip switch 4x4. any advice? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
from readin stories, roll into 4x4 hi, and basically line lock (foot on the gas and foot on the brake) this will boost your turbo to where it needs to be for a quick start off the line (hence being in 4x4 so you dont spin). I am novice to this, so someone else might be able to help you more.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i feel like an idiot asking. lol. but hell i wanna give it a go. im so use to my eclipse where i can just double clutch it and be gone. i was thinking there was two things i needed to know, one was line lock (thanks!), the other would be do you flip it back into 2 wheel at anytime or leave it in four? figure you could get a way higher top end in 2 wheel but not sure if you can mechanically do that with out $*#@ing up your drive train. i try and read around before asking this kinda thing but just couldnt find anything too specific.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
4x4hi boosted launch... flip in 4hi, brake and gas at same time until where ever you want to launch, I leave at about 8-10 lbs. Any more and yah... you are going to break stuff lol
Old 07-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerGONEbomber View Post
i feel like an idiot asking. lol. but hell i wanna give it a go. im so use to my eclipse where i can just double clutch it and be gone. i was thinking there was two things i needed to know, one was line lock (thanks!), the other would be do you flip it back into 2 wheel at anytime or leave it in four? figure you could get a way higher top end in 2 wheel but not sure if you can mechanically do that with out $*#@ing up your drive train. i try and read around before asking this kinda thing but just couldnt find anything too specific.
Its alright - everyone has to start somewhere. Just FYI though; if you take off in 4wd, even if you flip the switch back to 2wd it won't come out of 4wd until you let off...
Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 PM

now i feel like an idiot to but how do you do it with a manual tranny?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awelch View Post
now i feel like an idiot to but how do you do it with a manual tranny?
If you rev the engine up a couple times - like stab the throttle and let the rpms climb up to 2500 or so, boost will eventually build up. Just put it in gear, press the clutch, punch the pedal 3-5 times and let the boost build up. On the last stab, when the boost guage is still up, ride out

Thanks to my lil' bro for showing me that. You can do that with an auto tranny to; keeps from having to powerbrake which I would imagine could cause tranny issues...

Last edited by mmccraney; 07-20-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 AM

thanks thats what i figured just didnt know and you better watch it he might out run you one day haha
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
thanks thats what i figured just didnt know and you better watch it he might out run you one day haha
We haven't formally lined up yet, but we did run them last week and he couldn't get away from me. I had 400lb's worth of quad in the back of my truck, AND I have 35's; he's stock My speedo was maxed past 100mph, and I think his is limited to 92 or so. It looked like I was pulling on him 2-3mph once I hit 70, but I couldn't really tell. Not bad for a "measly" 6-blow w/ over 140k

I don't think he can outrun me, but then again that 6.7 CR Cummins has got some serious take-off grunt - he make take me from a dead stop...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:

. i can already out run him.

with the 7.3's and doing the rev up spool up trick it will take a few rev's to get the turbo-a-spinnin. the best way is to hav a boost gauge. with the truck in 1st gear (4x4) push ur clutch in. rev the motor HARD from idle to about 2800-3000. let off and when it gets down to around 1800 stab it again. these multiple stabs raise cylinder pressure (cuz the motor is humping getting that big crank/flywheel turning) thus creating more drive press thus creating more boost. watch ur boost gauge. when the needle comes off of the bottom ur turbo is spinning pretty good and ready to go. on the next stab let off that left pedal and push the right one through the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.