Out pulled a Cummins Bad!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Out pulled a Cummins Bad!!!!

This is not a race kill, but an "out-pulling" kill. So we were hauling cattle from a feed lot out to a ranch Thursday and I am driving my '08 6.4 with a 32' triple axle stock trailer and my buddy was in an '02 Cummins with a 20' stock trailer. My 6.4 does have a DPF delete and as far as I know the Cummins is stock. I loaded 17 cows on my trailer (about 18,700 lbs. of cows) and he had 29 little calves (about 7500lbs of calves). I was in front, pulled onto the freeway together, within a couple of miles I had pulled so far ahead I could not see him. Came to the next town where we changed highways and stared a 25 mile climb gaining over 2,000 feet in elevation. By that time he caught up to me in town, we pulled out and I left him again. There is one hill that is about 2 miles long over 6% grade I topped it at 40mph at a little over half throttle, I have to back out of it to keep my EGT's around 1200 degrees. I know his was stock but I was hauling more than 11,000lbs more than he was and you would think he would have been able to keep up with that much of a difference. I just never have been very impressed with Cummins, I know there are good ones and really souped up ones that can probably out pull me, but I never see it! All I do is pull big loads, I don't care how fast my truck is I just want it to bear down and pull it's guts out and all my Powerstrokes have pulled good for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You have half again the hp and tq he does plus a 5speed tranny and gearing advantage. Not much to say about it other than that.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I say good pull that's alit of extra weight what tune were you pulling in.?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just out of curiosity, how much do the trailers weigh?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm302 View Post
I say good pull that's alit of extra weight what tune were you pulling in.?
I went the cheapest route I could on my dpf delete, I am running an Edge, I run it on level 2, I have decent power and I get the best milage on that setting. I know it is probably not the best programmer compared to a Spartan or H&S, but I have had zero problems in the 40,000plus miles I have used it. I know the old Cummins was stock, but I had a trailer 12' longer and over 11,000lbs more cargo weight, I still think it could have at least kept up with me.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much do the trailers weigh?
I really could not tell you what these trailers wiegh, mine was a 32' triple axle with a full metal top, his was a 20' with a tarp top, same basic design of trailer though. My 32' tandem dual flatbed and my truck wiegh right at 15,000lbs empty, I dont think this stock trailer wieghs quite as much, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have had the same experience with the dodges my truck seems to pull better than what the dodges that I have drove. along with better handing ect.ect . I want one of those 6.4s they are bad *** want to trade ?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:05 PM

id say thats hardly a comparison. it was def a kill, but u hav to look at the technology differences of the 2 trucks. ur 08 is pushing everybit of double the power to the tires as he is.

id like to see wat the 6.4 powerstroke with all the deletes/programmer and the 6.7 cummins with all the deletes/programmer do head to head. IMO
Old 06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

are you sure the cummins knew you were racing? just sounds to me like he wasnt trying and you were... maybe he just didnt want to run 100 through town..
o yea hes stock.... your tuned and have more than 100hp than he did from the factory congrats lol thats like saying your truck out pulled my 4wheeler....

i towed up a 8% grade grossing 25Klbs grade was 4 miles i towed it at 55mph the whole way up and that was on my 30hp setting i think we would be a closer comparison
Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMMINS FIREFIGHTER View Post
are you sure the cummins knew you were racing? just sounds to me like he wasnt trying and you were... maybe he just didnt want to run 100 through town..
o yea hes stock.... your tuned and have more than 100hp than he did from the factory congrats lol thats like saying your truck out pulled my 4wheeler....

i towed up a 8% grade grossing 25Klbs grade was 4 miles i towed it at 55mph the whole way up and that was on my 30hp setting i think we would be a closer comparison
calm down dude just cuz ur a 6inarow daddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.