Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Lined up with my buddies '01 24 vavle...

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mudrunninpig 
#1 · (Edited)
So here's the situation: I got my truck just over 2 months ago. My buddy got his '01 Cummins about a week after that. Me, being all excited about finally making the switch from a gasser to a diesel, told him we should line 'em up.

Before I continue, the specs on the trucks were:
Mine: 1996 ECLB 4wd 7.3 PSD, auto trans, 196k miles
His: 2001 ECLB 4wd 5.9 Cummins, auto trans, 98k miles

Both trucks were also bone stock. Basically, the trucks are twins of each other, just different makes. About 11 o'clock one night, we went out to a perfectly straight, deserted backroad. We lined up, doing a spooled 4wd launch. As soon as his passenger yelled "GO!!", we took off. He jumped me initially, but as soon as I hit 2nd gear I took the lead, and it stayed that way until I let off at about 70 and he thought he would be a hardass and blow by me :icon_ford: :rod:

So now, whenever he gives me a crap about owning a Ford, I remind him that my baby that's 5 years older with 100,000 more miles still showed him who's boss. His only response to that is "Well, you have more cylinders...". I guess if that's the case, I could light up any built up, boosted, NOS'ed import I wanted to :hehe:

Don't get me wrong, I like the Cummins a lot too, I'm just excited I beat him!

See less See more
#2 ·
nice job man killed some more dodges :icon_ford::icon_ford:

#6 ·
That truck's tranny won't like too many of those boosted launches just so you know. Good job on the kill though.

#7 · (Edited)
@ Fantom - No, I guess it isn't necessary. But, if we had done boosted 2wd launches, both of us would have just sat there and spun. My guess would be I would get the advantage if we had done that, because the cummins seems to have more down low torque, so he would have spun more than me. Every time I've done a boosted 2wd launch I spun a little to a lot, depending on the surface. A few weeks ago I raced said buddie's brother (who has a '99 Cummins 24v, the same truck as the other one only his is a 5 speed). The pavement was dry but it's pretty old, so it doesn't offer as much traction. When I let off the brake and floored it, the rear end immediately busted loose and started gettin' a little bit sideways before the tires grabbed :hehe:

@Bigbill - Yeah I kinda guessed that haha, I've been easin' up a lot lately. But my tranny has a warranty good for like 13 more months if something does go wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.