Me vs newer modded cummins... win?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Me vs newer modded cummins... win??

Ok I'll try to condense a long story. There is this guy that lives the next street over, but from my upstairs bedroom window I can see his truck. He's lived there a while. I have NO idea what year dodge it is, but I'm going to wager it's at least like an '03 or '04 since its the newer body style. Has dual 7" chrome stacks, lift, nice tires/wheels, and some sort of tuning and I dont know what else. Think it was an auto as well.

So this guy is leaving my housing devlepment and I turn off my street and start following him. I know there is a NICE straight away coming up and hope to get into it. Well I couldn't catch up to him in time (housing speed limit is only 15), and he already takes off down it. I catch up to him at the next light, which is also great for racing since it's another straight away, and I pull next to him. I had my window in hopes to talk to him, but he just looked over, I gave him a thumbs up said "nice truck" and that was all I got. The light turns, and I'm at about 1800rpm's in second when I hear him getting on it. I lay into it. I was about half a truck ahead of him when I heard him lay into it, but he also got the jump. I'm holding him off, with him creeping ahead pretty slowly. I left off because of a mack dump in front of me, and he lets off to and is a good sport. He hits it and starts speeding up this big hill and starts spewing smoke, and I put it in 4th and I'm right on his *** up the hill. He lets off due to traffic, so I let off.

While we were driving single file up the hill, every few seconds he would spike the throttle and unleash some black smoke and a WICKED spurt of exhaust thru his loud 7" stacks. I turn off at the top of the hill.

Now, I'm not POSITIVE he was trying.. but I sure heard his motor winding out and saw that black smoking rolling. It would be pointless to race and not even try, because my truck is stock except the filter and exhaust cut out lol.

Well thats it.. I 100% figured he was going to kick my ***, and I was going to say so to thru my window, since I'm stock and all, but he didn't open his window so I'm like "**** it.. lets see how I do".

Thought it was pretty neat

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I really hope you weren't running that engine when it was cold.

anddddd... 7.3 + hand shaker vs cummins with auto... Good luck you'll need it.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

No chance against a 03-04 (common rail) cummins. Don't even bother dude. He was probably only on it as hard as he needed to be to start pullin on you. They're VERY easy trucks to wake up.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinj427 View Post
I really hope you weren't running that engine when it was cold.

anddddd... 7.3 + hand shaker vs cummins with auto... Good luck you'll need it.
Nooo it wasn't cold. I'm not a dummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
No chance against a 03-04 (common rail) cummins. Don't even bother dude. He was probably only on it as hard as he needed to be to start pullin on you. They're VERY easy trucks to wake up.
Thats what I thought.. but I cant imagine him only "half racing" me or something lol.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

He was playing with you. I just traded my 04.5 cummins and got me a 09 6.4. The new truck is quick, but the dodge would haul... There was not a ford it could not take. Now I cant wait to get the spartan and put the shoe on the other foot!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to BIGBILL105 45
He was toying with you lol.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via MSN to milesdodgeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
Ok I'll try to condense a long story. There is this guy that lives the next street over, but from my upstairs bedroom window I can see his truck. He's lived there a while. I have NO idea what year dodge it is, but I'm going to wager it's at least like an '03 or '04 since its the newer body style. Has dual 7" chrome stacks, lift, nice tires/wheels, and some sort of tuning and I dont know what else. Think it was an auto as well.

So this guy is leaving my housing devlepment and I turn off my street and start following him. I know there is a NICE straight away coming up and hope to get into it. Well I couldn't catch up to him in time (housing speed limit is only 15), and he already takes off down it. I catch up to him at the next light, which is also great for racing since it's another straight away, and I pull next to him. I had my window in hopes to talk to him, but he just looked over, I gave him a thumbs up said "nice truck" and that was all I got. The light turns, and I'm at about 1800rpm's in second when I hear him getting on it. I lay into it. I was about half a truck ahead of him when I heard him lay into it, but he also got the jump. I'm holding him off, with him creeping ahead pretty slowly. I left off because of a mack dump in front of me, and he lets off to and is a good sport. He hits it and starts speeding up this big hill and starts spewing smoke, and I put it in 4th and I'm right on his *** up the hill. He lets off due to traffic, so I let off.

While we were driving single file up the hill, every few seconds he would spike the throttle and unleash some black smoke and a WICKED spurt of exhaust thru his loud 7" stacks. I turn off at the top of the hill.

Now, I'm not POSITIVE he was trying.. but I sure heard his motor winding out and saw that black smoking rolling. It would be pointless to race and not even try, because my truck is stock except the filter and exhaust cut out lol.

Well thats it.. I 100% figured he was going to kick my ***, and I was going to say so to thru my window, since I'm stock and all, but he didn't open his window so I'm like "**** it.. lets see how I do".

Thought it was pretty neat

Matt
the commonrails from 03 and up are a little bit on the snappy side from the factory. Dunno, if he was trying sounds like you two were pretty evenly matched. I wouldn't bet on him having any tuning though unless he actually told you. A lot of the cummins guys will hook up a damn smoke switch. Those guys piss me off
Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 AM
Banned

I'm not calling anybody here a liar or anything.. but why would he race me but not actually try beating me? Thats almost embarrassing for him I would think?

The '03s had 2 motors.. the base motor, which puts out like 50lbs of torque less but 20 hp more, and the "high output" which puts out like 50lbs more than my stock truck.

How does a smoke switch work? You might be right.. but I know his pipes sounded goood and he would just tap the gas and it would instantly puff smoke
Old 11-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not to bust your bubble but ive raced many people and only tried hard enough to stay even or a little ahead. Its fun to toy with people and not show what youve really got under the hood. Btw my buddy with a crappy programmer (Diablo) made 480hp with nothing but the programmer. Theyre not something to take lightly.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via MSN to milesdodgeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
I'm not calling anybody here a liar or anything.. but why would he race me but not actually try beating me? Thats almost embarrassing for him I would think?

The '03s had 2 motors.. the base motor, which puts out like 50lbs of torque less but 20 hp more, and the "high output" which puts out like 50lbs more than my stock truck.

How does a smoke switch work? You might be right.. but I know his pipes sounded goood and he would just tap the gas and it would instantly puff smoke
A smoke switch is more for show than anything. A person hooks up a couple of wires to mess with the ecm's reading of the map sensor I believe. Does nothing for performance. Just for those people that want to put on a smoke show. I don't understand why a lot of people want to blow black smoke. I can understand sure that if you're pushing enough fuel to make huge power but can't get enough air to burn it, then yeah the black smoke is ok. Black smoke is potential power, so to me, a truck that can realistically and honestly burn most of the smoke after turbo spoolup is much more appealing. I seriously cannot wait to get my replacement engine to get my truck back up and running. Driving me absolutely nuts lol.

What other plans do you have for your truck? always interested in what other fellow diesel heads are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.