Killed my own truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Killed my own truck

Found out today my Super duty is way way way faster even on stock than my 96. Is it the gears the advanced motor or what? My super duty on stock settings will kill, I mean kill my obs. I don't like that. Is the obs just that slow. I do have to take into account it has a helatious flat bed/service body on it but dang.

What will make these obs wake up? A guy I know has the intake side of the charger from banks and he said he would give it to me. I know a TW chip would wake it up but I just didn't expect it to be this slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 07:59 AM

Bump.... .
Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you're looking to wake up an OBS, go check out the '94-'97 powerstroke performance parts forum. There are quite a few things they changed between the two generations of the 7.3L Powerstroke, that really changed the power. (i.e. injectors, HPOP, etc.)

Personaly, I would start with ditching the stock intake for a DIY (inexpensive) or aftermarket (pricey), then the exhaust, cut out the cat, and go with a turbo back exhaust. (primarily ditch the stock DP, and cut out the cat) Just those two things will really wake up an OBS. It still won't be a SD, but more like right inbeween an OBS and an SD.

mike
Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
obs has amaller injectors and smaller turbo .. and id almost bet the gear ratio is not the same either in the diff
Old 10-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Yeah the OBS probably has either 3.55s or 4.10s
You need a good chip, turbo and injectors to keep up to superduty.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Yea its got the 3.55 gears. I knew it would be slower than my superduty but dern.

A guy has a banks turbo intake charger side and banks wheel. Will that help out any? He said he would give it to me. Im not crazy about making big power with it. It needs to be really reliable for the next 2-3 years. After that im gonna get another superduty. I just figured with the money I can get out the super duty I will have one nice obs when im finished. Gonna hate to see the super duty go though. Its got over $200 in stickers lol. And she was my first diesel. Traded my first love, my 92 coupe, saturday and now gonna let the super duty go.

Gonna get the vin numbers ran at a local dealership tomorrow to see what was all done. I was told it had a new motor put in at a Ford dealership in 04. Seems like I got a straight truck.

I think my up-pipes are leaking at the gasket....Is it as simple as unbolting it and putting on a new one?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 PM

why are you getin rid of the sd? also the obs has a 1.10 turbo housing .so unless the banks housing is smaller like a 1.0 or .84 housing,you wont see a perf. gain.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97powerstroker View Post
why are you getin rid of the sd? also the obs has a 1.10 turbo housing .so unless the banks housing is smaller like a 1.0 or .84 housing,you wont see a perf. gain.
MONEY. I can get more for the super duty then I could the mustang. The super duty has many more miles than the obs and I have some people already interested in the SD. I like the way my 99 looks a lot better but I want something a little different anyway. The obs gets better mileage than the 99. The 96 isn't as powerful, or so it seems, it has smaller gears but its ok. If I could keep both I would but one has to go. It isn't set in stone that the SD is out yet but its promising.

Im not gonna take it off the rode and put it up for sale until I know everything is all good on the OBS. Don't want any surprises. Gonna do it right the first time.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj Ford View Post
obs has amaller injectors and smaller turbo .. and id almost bet the gear ratio is not the same either in the diff
Actually, the OBS turbo is larger than the SD. The turbo housing was scaled down for the SD's to speed up turbo spool time. The SD's injectors are larger though. (and the HPOP is a 17* instead of 15*, therefore creating higher fuel injection pressures)

I'm glad to hear you're really doing a lot of research on the OBS. They can carry some secret little quirks. (the truck being a one owner vehicle is great, especially if the guy can sit down and "tell" you, everything the truck has thrown at him.

There really isn't that much that seperates the OBS motors, from the SD motors. Just a few things here and there. Other than that, it's the same motor.

I've heard "REALLY" mixed things about stuff that Banks puts out for the OBS trucks. Generally speaking, I haven't heard anything good, except for their IC pipes and octopus. (IC replacement for the "Y" pipe)

As for gearing, I'm not sure what the SD's come stock with. The 3.55 gears, would be better for high end cruising on the highway. The 4.10 gears are better for towing (i.e. low end)

To match up with a SD truck, you'd want to open up the intake and exhaust. Then, replace the injectors, HPOP, and get a good chip.

mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.