Man kills boat *pics* - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Man kills boat *pics*

So I'm on my way home from work in Gaithersburg, MD. I'm on the outer loop of the capital beltway and I'm about an 1/8 mile away from the Amercian Legion bridge(this spans the Potomac River that seperates VA. from MD.) All of a sudden on the bridge in front of me I see sparks spraying all over the place like crazy , then a boat trailer(with no boat on it, mind you) comes flying across, yeah FLYING across all 4 lanes of traffic at about 60 mph, hits the outside wall of the bridge, and then comes flying back across all 4 lanes again in the opposite direction.
Traffic slowed and crept by on the right as everything came to rest in the left lane again.
I was the only one to stop and offer help.
I pulled up behind the boat. The boat was behind the guys truck, on the pavement, and the boat trailer was in front of the guys truck. His wife was in the truck so she called 911 and I helped him clean up the highway a little. There were tie-down straps, trailer fenders, and all kinds of crap all over. After that was done, I hook my chain(always have one) to the front of his boat and dragged it out of the other lane of traffic so people could get by.
The guy had a pretty good sense of humor about it considering....We laughed about wether or not we should just try and push it over the edge of the bridge into the Potomac or not. Its hard to tell, but the boat is TOAST. He was taking it down to NC where he just finished building a house, and that was going to be where the boat stayed. Not anymore
Bad news for him, but the good news is that somehow by the Grace of God, nobody was hurt. This could've been a real bad disaster. Especially being that it happened on a bridge too. That trailer was going so fast when crossed all the lanes, and then all the way back, It's amazing that it didn't hit anything or anyone.

Pretty crazy ride home.

Anyway, since....

here ya go....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 03:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
thats crazy!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How did the trailer come loose from the truck?

Glad nobody was hurt
Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
How did the trailer come loose from the truck?

Glad nobody was hurt
IDK how.

Operator error i'm guessing

I think the guy probably forgot to latch the trailer onto the ball, hit a big bump(they are paving that section of the beltway) and the trailer tounge jumped off the ball. That would explain all of the sparks I saw. Then he either didn't have the saftey chains hooked or they broke. I don't know which.

To hear him tell it, he says to me..."I don't know what happened. My boat passed me and my trailer exploded!"
Old 09-04-2009, 05:35 AM
wriott

crazy, glad on one got hurt
Old 09-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What a maroon! That's elementry when pulling a trailer, check your lights, latch the ball, and attach safety chains
Old 09-04-2009, 06:04 AM

I am so glad no one got hurt. Not trying to bash this particular guy, BUT...

This, IMHO, is further proof that you should have to have an endorsement on your license to pull a trailer of ANY size. Just I have seen a LOT of wrecks with trailers around here lately it was almost always caused by head up the arse, don;t know how to operate a vehicle while towing.... Had an exchange student from Japan I believe traveling near my in-laws house with a U-haul, traailer got away from him, Father-in-law responded as police, said rice was EVERYWHERE! lol (no joke)
Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 AM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so glad no one got hurt. Thats a crazy story.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:24 AM

Thanks for stopping and helping him out. Probably felt like a boob for losing the trailer, but a worse feeling when traffic goes whizzing by and nobody cares or stops to help.

For him, Thank you.

Tim
Old 09-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Jesse.James
Thats funny, that happened in my patrol area but i was just coming on so one of the night shift guys handled it. Would have been cool to see a fellow org member while i was at work. Do you travel though montgomery county often?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.