Killed a Duramax, help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Kill Stories A place to share Hot Rodding lies...er we mean stories.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Killed a Duramax, help

So I was doing maintenance on a Duramax owned by the Wind Farm last night and had to change the fuel filter. Well that went fine but of course now it wont start and I am losing huge money on this truck. How do you get these POS's restarted after changing the fuel filter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Fuel filter write up - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Old 06-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

I just read that. I didnt know how to prime it. I hope this works!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:04 AM
I am that hot

Send a message via AIM to superxcrewfx4 Send a message via Yahoo to superxcrewfx4
Get out there now and start workin on it!!! lol
Old 06-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

use ether......thats how we do it.....just be smart about it.....roll it over hit it with ether and itll prime its self.....
Old 06-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

I dont know. I have heard some bad stuff about using ether on the Duramax!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Emergency Services

Don't use ether on a modern diesel engine. Or anything with glow plugs, for that matter.

When I do the fuel filters on my Dmax vans, there is a wire that has to be removed from the fuel filter cover on the frame rail. It will not start again till this is seated perfectly, and free of fuel. If you got this thing soaked with fuel before you installed it, then you need to unplug it, clean it with electronics cleaner, then reinstall.

Or you could have another problem that I am not thinking of. I have had this happen about half the time when I do filters on the dmaxes. No big deal once you know what the problem is.

As far as priming goes, I just cycle the key, like you do on a Ford. I do it about 6 times till the fuel pump quits each time. Seems to have worked for me.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

we've used ether on 08's.....it doesnt make a differance what year it is....if it has glow plugs you run the risk of blowing them off....but thats why i said do it while its rolling over....the glow plugs will not be on.....we cycle the engine enough to where the glow plugs dont stay on for more than a second or two then roll it over and shot it with ether.....thats how i did my stroker when i put my stage I's in....every one told me it would take upwards of 20-25min to get it runin....took use 2......
Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
Don't use ether on a modern diesel engine. Or anything with glow plugs, for that matter.

When I do the fuel filters on my Dmax vans, there is a wire that has to be removed from the fuel filter cover on the frame rail. It will not start again till this is seated perfectly, and free of fuel. If you got this thing soaked with fuel before you installed it, then you need to unplug it, clean it with electronics cleaner, then reinstall.

Or you could have another problem that I am not thinking of. I have had this happen about half the time when I do filters on the dmaxes. No big deal once you know what the problem is.

As far as priming goes, I just cycle the key, like you do on a Ford. I do it about 6 times till the fuel pump quits each time. Seems to have worked for me.
Got told on the D-max forum that the '09's dont have an electric fuel pump and this one has no filter on the frame rail. Have to manually prime it!
Old 06-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
Got told on the D-max forum that the '09's dont have an electric fuel pump and this one has no filter on the frame rail. Have to manually prime it!
Seriously?? weird.. I have '08 LMM's. I figured that they would have the same system as the '08s.

The other thing you could use if you are afraid of ether is gasoline. It's not as harsh as ether, and it isn't as explosive, so your engine will run better on it. It doesn't tend to burn glow plugs as much either.

Soak a rag with gasoline, and hold it up to the intake. Have some one crank it, and it will fire and run on gasoline vapors. You will have to throttle it with the rag closer or further from the intake. Just give it enough to make an idle speed.

That is how I get trucks started after I do injectors, or HPOP or anything like that..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.