Performax Gauge Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
ISSPRO ISSPRO

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Performax Gauge Problems

Michael I was hoping you could help me troubleshoot what is wrong with my performax gauges.

The problems started this morning while driving my truck. I noticed my boost gauge was sitting at 30 PSI when I was idling. My ford also has the factory boost gauge and I noticed when I had 5 PSI of booston the factory gauge the isspro gauge was reading 35 PSI, when I had 8 PSI of boost on the factory gauge the gauge was reading 38 PSI. Pretty much it seemed like the isspro boost gauge thought 30 PSI was 0 PSI. I have 2 other gauges hooked up right now and they were reading like normal.

I then noticed when I went to start the truck again after stopping at the store that when I turned the key on but didnt start the truck, all of my gauges went to a random reading and didnt go to the actual reading that the sender was seeing. For instance the transmission temp gauge was reading over 200 degrees when the actual temp should have been around 150. The pyro was sitting at like 900 degrees and the boost was around 20. I then turned the key back off and back on and started the truck and the pyro and tranny temp were again reading right but the boost was still sitting at 30 PSI when it should have been at 0.

I made another stop and when I started the truck I again noticed that the gauges were sitting at a random reading and not the actual reading. I drove home with the gauges like this and neither one of the gauges moved. They all just sat at some random value.

Then when I got home I turned the truck off and removed the key from the ignition and the gauges just stayed at that same random spot. They didnt go down to zero on the gauges. I then noticed that I could hear the motor in the boost gauge and the needle on the boost gauge was fluttering about 1 PSI with the ignition off. I then pulled the main battery fuse going to the ESP just incase the gauges wanted to drain my battery over night.

Sorry for the long post but I am kinda worried about this. Ive got alot of money in these gauges for them all to take a dump on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Aaron,
Can you please take a few measurements for me with a voltmeter? It would be best to take these measurements by "backprobing" into the sealed connectors, using thin paper clips which have been straightened. In other words, carefully poke the paper clips in with the wires into the holes in the back of the connectors. Be careful not to short out between paper clips into adjacent connectors (best to insert one at a time).

With the ignition off, measure the voltage at Gray connector pin #2 (pink wire). Also measure it with ignition on, and measure pin #1 (red wire).

With ignition on, measure voltage at Black connector pins #1 & #3 (boost gauge connection).

Regards,
Michael Pliska
Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
Aaron,
Can you please take a few measurements for me with a voltmeter? It would be best to take these measurements by "backprobing" into the sealed connectors, using thin paper clips which have been straightened. In other words, carefully poke the paper clips in with the wires into the holes in the back of the connectors. Be careful not to short out between paper clips into adjacent connectors (best to insert one at a time).

With the ignition off, measure the voltage at Gray connector pin #2 (pink wire). Also measure it with ignition on, and measure pin #1 (red wire).

With ignition on, measure voltage at Black connector pins #1 & #3 (boost gauge connection).

Regards,
Michael Pliska
I will do that as soon as possible. Right now it is dark outisde and raining so I will try and get it done tomorrow.

A little update for you. Yesterday the gauges worked flawlessly on my way too work and on my way home from work. Then this morning on my way to work again they all worked no problems and then tonight on my way home nothing worked...the gauges wont even light up when I turn my lights on.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:28 PM

Michael I measured the voltage at the pins you asked me too.

Gray Connector

Pin #1(red wire) Ignition off 12.5V, Ignition on 12.5V
Pin #2(pink wire) Ignition off 0.35V, Ignition on 12.5V

It appears those wires on the gray connector are working because the red wire which is constant battery has battery voltage with ignition off and on. The pink wire which is switched ignition has battery voltage when the ignition is on but not when the ignition is off.

Black Connector
Pin #1(red wire) Ignition on 5.02V
Pin #3(green wire) Ignition on 0.56V

Another update for you...on my way too and from work today still nothing worked....not even the lights on the gauges.

But tonight while I was checking those voltages and cycling the ignition my air pressure and boost gauge were still not working but the gauges lit up when I had my truck lights on and ignition on...when i turned the ignition off but left the truck lights on the gauges stayed lit up but went dim. As far as I can remember the gauges only ever lit up when the igniton was on so why the gauges went dim tonight when I turned the igniton off but had my truck lights on I dont know.

Then after cycling the ignition a few more times I noticed that my air pressure, boost, and pyro were both working and the lights were working. Then all of a sudden my trans temp gauge lit up and also started working.

It appears something very weird is going on with the gauges. Do you have any ideas as what it could be? Also what is the warranty on the performax gauges? Thanks for your assistance so far Michael
Old 02-27-2010, 08:32 AM

Michael just wondering if you have any more infor on this problem? The gauges seem to be working okay right now. I am just worried some part is on its way out and the problems are going to come back. Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Aaron,
I think the "official" warranty is 1 year, but we will take care you you either way.

I'm a little puzzled. About the only thing that makes sense is an intermittent connection, but that could be a broken solder joint in the ESP. Please PM me your address and I'll ship a replacement ESP to try.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Aaron,
I think the "official" warranty is 1 year, but we will take care you you either way.

I'm a little puzzled. About the only thing that makes sense is an intermittent connection, but that could be a broken solder joint in the ESP. Please PM me your address and I'll ship a replacement ESP to try.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
You have got a PM Michael. I bought my gauges last may so luckily they are still under warranty.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Shipping replacement out today. Sorry for the inconvenience.

After it arrives, please ship yours back to my attention at:
ISSPRO, Inc.
2515 NE Riverside Way
Portland, OR 97211

Regards,
Michael Pliska
Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Shipping replacement out today. Sorry for the inconvenience.

After it arrives, please ship yours back to my attention at:
ISSPRO, Inc.
2515 NE Riverside Way
Portland, OR 97211

Regards,
Michael Pliska
I will ship it out as soon as I receive the replacement. Will you guys be tearing my old ESP apart and looking inside?...The gauges have been working fine the last few days but it would be interesting to know if you guys find anything wrong with my original ESP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.