2 Power strokes/ 1st post - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2 Power strokes/ 1st post

Hi, this is my first post. I have been here to look around a few times but figured it was time to say hello.

I now own 2 Powerstroke trucks!

I bought a new (back in 1996) 1997 F250, 7.3, 4x4 super cab, XLT long box for hauling a camper and towing a boat. Still have it, 69k miles, motor is stock. Air bags and class 5 reese hitch for towing with camper. Great truck but family kind of out grew the super cab space.

Today I bought a 2002 F350, 7.3, 4x4, Crew cab, Lariat long box. 46k miles from the original owner. Very nice truck!

I will set the F350 up with air bags and class 5 hitch soon and eventually sell my F250.

This time I am considering doing some performance modifications.
Just interested in towing power for pulling hills with a huge load. I would like to boost towing performance and not cause damage to motor or trans. if that is possible.

Looking for advice, product recommendations, links to good information.

Thanks- Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 09:51 PM
one day at a time

to the site! I would have to say a good start for you would be to look at intake and exhaust. The 7.3's I'm told have a very restrictive stock air box. A lot of people around here run a DIY tymar set up, which uses a common filter you can get at NAPA or other auto parts stores. I believe the whole intake you can make yourself for around $50. As far as exhaust goes, 4 or 5" turbo back. A lot of different manufacturers, all are pretty good. That would be a good start I think... Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:54 PM
one day at a time

here's a good post on the tymar intake for you.
My version of the Tymar
Old 01-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

welcome to the site
you should post some pics
Old 01-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site Radkng, you came to the right place for the howdoi's. the first thing you want to do is gauges--Exaust gas temp--Boost--- trans temp. then the intake shu recomended above. check out Farmboy for a budget exaust, and you have your breathing taken care of. after that you can look into the power adders--programers--flip chips etc. I run the DP tuner, which lets me change on the fly (don't have to use the port to change the tunes ) just push a button. I have a 60 hp tow-80hp tow-80 econo-140 extreme-hi idle-as well as stock in my chip. but everybody has a preferance to what they want as far as a power booster goes. you will also want to look into the ATS vented turbo housing, these trucks have a problem with turb surge under load , and it is amplified as you build up the power in them. Check out ITP, one of the vendors at the top of the page, Dennis helped me out alot with my choice in the DP tuner. You will find that the vendors on this site will bend over backwards to help out, and give about the best prices you'll find as well. OK step one is done hahaha have fun and good luck

Gord.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome to Powerstroke.org Radkng! Two Powerstrokes......I'm jealous.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

welcome to the site, you will find what your looking for.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:18 AM
im fat and ugly

welcome.............man at 69k miles that 97 model aint even broke in
Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 AM
I don't know nuttin....

to Powerstroke.org!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:58 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Looks like everyone has you moving in the right direction A Trans temp, Pyro, and boost gauge is pretty critical if your going to be towing. Your truck has a trans temp guage but its nice to have one that lets you see the actual temp in degrees F. Also a pyro will let you know how hot your exhaust gasses are before entering the turbo the magic # seems to be 1250 degrees F any hotter and you need to back out of the gas. The gauges are probobly the best way to stay out of trouble with your motor and trans. Go with a 4 inch exhaust and depending on what you want to spend I recommend the diy tymar its cheap and its more than what you really need for cfm's and you don't have to clean the filter. After that you can add the power modders either a chip or tuner. I have a tuner and like the idea of it being a code reader also, but shift on the fly would be a nice feature to have. Keep us posted on what you do and if you have any specific questions along the way we will certainly help you out

Last edited by vitalidle; 01-30-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.