Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New 7.3 excursion owner from Idaho

1K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Hank 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!

My name is Dan and I am a 28yo mechanic from Idaho. I just bought a 2001 Excursion limited which is my first diesel. I bought it to tow my race car across country. The truck is stock except for boost, trans temp, and egt gauges. It has been brilliantly maintained by a government contractor.

The trailer is a 18x9 enclosed car hauler that weighs about 6500lbs loaded.

My goals are max fuel economy and reliability. So far I am just doing lots of searching and browsing over the tons and tons of info and tech that this forum has.:thumb: There are some very experienced members here and I am glad to be a part of the community. I understand that it is not your responsibility to do all the searching for me, but if you have any tips on where to look, I would be grateful.

I will make my sig soon.

Dan

#2 ·
I am not that experienced at all the fuel economy stuff but Welcome to the ORG!

#3 ·
Welcom to the Org.

I have a 2000 X. Picked up 1-1.5 MPG when I put on AFE Stage 2 air intake. You don't have to have this intake, but by opening up the intake helps. None of my other Mods increased milage, Except for a tiny bit with Amsoil.

#4 ·
welcome to the org!

Get a DP or TW chip and you'll get better fuek mileage. Since you'll be towing cross country you might want to get the 6.0 trans cooler

#6 ·
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
:welcome1::welcome2::welcome1::welcome2::welcome1::welcome2::welcome1:​

#7 ·
:welcome1: Welcome to the ORG.!

#12 ·
Welcome!

I got an 01 EX

A DIY intake gave me about 1.5 mpg more and only cost about $50
I cut off my muffler and that gave me maybe 1 mpg and cost about $15 to put a straight pipe in.
A TW chip made the biggest difference 3-5mpg and that was about $400.00

Since you are towing a chip makes a world of difference with shifting!

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I have done some other mods as you can see in my sig

#20 ·
Welcome to the org.!:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.