Noob wondering about DPF delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noob wondering about DPF delete

Just bought a brand-spanking new '12 in April '14. Looked for more than 3 months....found it 7 miles from where I grew up.
I spent a good bit of time researching the new ultra low sulfur fuel and DPF/EGR thing. With Ford's dismal 6.0L history, why did they add this equipment to a truck? They tested it for over a million miles so why are people taking the DPF/EGR system off. ? With </5ppm sulfur, 5-20% bio-fuel, and the heat of a diesel, what is the reason for the DPF system if the best thing for engine longevity is to not have it installed? (This according to Ford Techs and bloggers 'net-wide.)
I do want max life from this truck. I primarily drive it 60 miles (interstate) 1 way to work and intend to haul our 5th wheel with it. I read the post about the EGR dumping soot into the motor and the life expectency being </100k.
Can I get some info from yall?
Tomcat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to have you - to the ORG!!

A couple of places to check out:
Ford Powerstroke "Scorpion" 6.7 2011-? Forums - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - Good info in there!

Carolina Powerstroke Association - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - Chapter for Carolina members
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

The DPF is solely an item that satisfies the EPA. It does not extend the life of the engine, it does quite the opposite. The Diesel Particulate Filter, filters the diesel exhaust soot from reaching the atmosphere. The soot is caught in the Diesel Particulate Filter. When the filter gets so full that it starts to cause restriction, the engine goes into the "regeneration cycle" to clean it and dumps raw fuel down the exhaust system from the back two engine cylinders by firing the injectors on the exhaust stroke. The fuel burns and cleans the filter (thus the heat during regeneration).
People take the DPF off their trucks to eliminate the waste of fuel and harm it causes the engine as small amounts of unburned fuel (during regen) bypass the piston rings and dilute the engine oil causing premature wear and tear. There are other negatives to having the [DPF] system, but I am keeping this simple.
If keeping the DPF on the truck was good for it, believe me, many good a good man wouldn't be wasting his hard earned dollar to remove it.
That's a simplified answer. I hope it helps.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

RJC2, Good stuff. I was thinking along the same lines the same way blind squirrels survive.
Now the big question: What to remove? I have read several posts in various places and saw a photo of a removed system that was about 5' long.
I am trying to trackk down one of the H&S systems but have been stunned by the cost. Does this system effectively shutter the DEF system in addition to providing replacement tubing for the removed components?
Tomcat
Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

While I own a 6.7, mine isn't deleted due to voiding the warranty. There are better people to ask this question than I and you would be well served to go to the "6.7 Performance Parts Section" and start reading and asking questions. It will all sound overwhelming at first, it did to me when I deleted my 2008 6.4.
Educate yourself and it will pay off. You will have,,, I'm guessing, $2000 in the whole deal if you go with an H&S tuner and do the deletes. That's what I used and it was worth every penny I paid for it. It made my truck sell quickly when I sold it, and I recovered all the money I spent on it. It is utterly amazing how well these trucks run when deleted. They are like a 4 ton missile. Some claim 5 mpg increase which I have learned is a bit...well, exaggerated I think. I got +3 mpg with my 6.4 but most people I hear say about +2 mpg, mostly because people can't keep their right foot under control. You have to look at it as an investment in your truck. It will increase it's value when you sell it, and save you $ at the pump in the interim.

Welcome to the website and I hope you are able to learn much and have a better truck for it.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Premium Member

"Some claim 5 mpg increase which I have learned is a bit...well, exaggerated I think. I got +3 mpg with my 6.4 but most people I hear say about +2 mpg, mostly because people can't keep their right foot under control." LOL Very true. I am used to v8 gas burners. The thrust of my 'Stroke and my gf's Cummins diesel is intoxicating! It is literally the ripping sound of the tires struggling for traction that makes me back out. Tires and fuel to smoke them are expensive.
"You have to look at it as an investment in your truck." This is also true. From what I am gleaning through research, leaving the DPF intact may likely result in a new engine in ~ 100k miles. Right after the warranty runs out. Or I could delete the DPF, void the warranty for the motor and be driving the truck with the same engine for 300k miles.
Thanks for the well-wishes, advice and commentary, and for taking the time to render it.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Premium Member

Your welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.