New to this forum - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to this forum

My name is Vinny, I work at Lead Foot Diesel Performance were we get to play with all diesels including the big stuff. But our passion is making these pickups haul balls.

I have had a ton of Diesels including 5 7.3L's 4 different Cummins and I recently purchased two F-250's with the 6.0L engine.

After 8 years in this business I never thought I would own a 6.0 from all the issues we have to fix on them. But one day it hit me like a brick in the face (I recently watched Home Alone II with my kids, this analogy works!)..... most of the trucks coming to our shop for the bullet proof package had well over 300,000 miles on them "MOST" not all.

I started thinking maybe a 6.0 wouldn't be so bad to own. I had really never driven one for an extended period of time so aside from the basic test drive around the block after we finished working on one I had no reason to really bash on them like I had been doing for years.

An opportunity arose for me to purchase a 2003 6.0 for nearly nothing.

I jumped on it, the truck was towed here because it didn't run, and hadn't run for 2 years. I ended up throwing a set of batteries in it, just to see if I could diagnose the issue with our IDS computer.

As soon as I put the batteries in, the truck fired right up. I went ahead and changed the oil and cleaned the fuel tank out since it had been sitting for so long. The lift pump was weak so I installed a FASS Titanium 150 instead of installing another factory lift pump.

I drove the truck for several months and was really enjoying the 24 mpg that comes with a Standard Cab 2WD.

After a while I noticed the truck was skipping pretty bad in the mornings, I started saving up for injectors. I have watched hundreds of customers replace one injector at a time, there's no way I was going to tear this thing apart 8 different times. I ordered all 8 injectors, a Bullet Proof Diesel 58 volt FICM and a regulated return kit.

With the new injectors and fuel components installed the truck freakin' RIPPED!

I had the first small taste of 6.0 performance and decided to go against my initial decision to leave the truck alone.

I ordered the SCT 5015 so I could keep an eye on the engines vitals, like ICP pressure and FICM voltage etc.

I also installed an S&B cold air intake and sent the EGR the way of the dodo bird.

The truck was ridiculous. It put a huge smile on my face for the first couple of days, but then I started realizing it wasn't much fun trying to feather the throttle pulling out onto the highway, trying to keep the truck from spinning in circles.

So I got rid of the pizza cutters that were on it and threw on a set of Drag Radials we had at the shop. It would stick awesome, but those tires are sketchy in the rain. After a couple races with the other guys here at work I noticed the radiator was leaking. Not bad but I hate leaks, so I ordered the Mishimoto all aluminum radiator to get away from the brittle plastic end tanks.

That's pretty much were the truck sits for now. I don't want to push the stock head gaskets anymore, the truck has 320,000 miles on it and stock head bolts.

I want to spend the next year truly Bullet Proofing this engine. Front mount oil cooler, billet water pump, head studs, O ringed heads, auxiliary transmission cooler, and back halving the rear end are all on the list. Most of the parts I need are already here sitting in our warehouse. I just have to find the time to do everything without holding up a lift required for customer's trucks.

Last edited by LFDPVinny; 12-10-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like the mod bug strong is with this one ... welcome to the addition, this site will certainly help you spend more $$
The Following User Says Thank You to dannanw For This Useful Post:
LFDPVinny (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I can't leave anything alone man, here's a pic of my Cummins engine that was going to stay stock...
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to have you Vinny - to the ORG!!

Take a look at a couple of places:
Ford 03-07 6.0L Powerstroke Forums - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Georgia Members - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - Member area for Georgia members. You might find a member nearby!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thank you sir! I am checking them out now.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

6.0L F-250

[IMG][/IMG]Hey guys whats up?...im looking for a F-250 diesel powerstroke at the moment and so i went and test drove a 6.0L on Saturday which was a sweet truck. It had RBP parts for example the exhaust and front grill but the truck just felt gutless....do you guys have any idea as to what might be wrong with it...it has a custom exhaust and i was hoping with these it would have at least a little go to it but yeh....i took it for a test drive on the freeway and the thing was just sad....i was wondering whether you guys had an idea as to what it might be for example the EGR or the turbo or something...im looking to u guys man..especially those that work on these things all day every day....
Thanks.....
Old 12-10-2013, 07:40 PM

Welcome to the site! Looks like you got a heck of a head start on things!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayFussell View Post
[IMG][/IMG]Hey guys whats up?...im looking for a F-250 diesel powerstroke at the moment and so i went and test drove a 6.0L on Saturday which was a sweet truck. It had RBP parts for example the exhaust and front grill but the truck just felt gutless....do you guys have any idea as to what might be wrong with it...it has a custom exhaust and i was hoping with these it would have at least a little go to it but yeh....i took it for a test drive on the freeway and the thing was just sad....i was wondering whether you guys had an idea as to what it might be for example the EGR or the turbo or something...im looking to u guys man..especially those that work on these things all day every day....
Thanks.....
Wow that could be a lot of different things.Old fuel filters. Injectors goin south. That's one of those things with out a monitor to help you out it would be a lot of guessin.
My 6.0 runs very well down the highway. I was actually very surprised how it smooth's out. My truck has I believe 4.33 gears so its not a super speed machine at all but it will move when needed!
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey thanks for replying....
im only a teenager and ive own a gas K1500 Chevy truck with a 4" lift and the rest of it but im just not doing the whole gas thing anymore.....i need a diesel....ive been looking around and when i test drove this 2005 F-250 i was not happy.....so do you think just putting a chip in it would change the whole thing and make a difference???
Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 PM

With the 6.0 you run a tune not a chip and ya it will wake them up a ton. But you would want to take care of what ever issue's are holdin the truck back before hand. The 6.0's are spendy suckers. And can be very finicky if not maintained 100%. Id say if your lookin for a power monster find a 6.4. I don't think youd be let down. And you'd get more power for the same amount of $.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinnisoj For This Useful Post:
LFDPVinny (12-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.