Mechanically inclined but new to diesels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mechanically inclined but new to diesels

Hey guys. Just thought I would take a minute to say hello and I look forward to reading and learning about my 6.0 powerstroke. Been a mechanic for years and have always done my own work/fab on my own vehicles and toys but have never owned a diesel nor had the opportunity to work on or even try to learn about them. So recently I sold my 96 F250 5.8L gasser because it was not up to the duties of pulling my heavy *** bronco anymore. So I purchased a very well kept (dealer records included), completely stock, 2004 F250 Lariat Crew cab long bed 2wd with 119K miles (has 130K now). I was originally after a 4wd, but decided since this was going to be my tow rig for the bronco I also needed the best fuel economy possible; therefore the 2wd won over the 4wd. The only time I might need 4wd is in muddy parking areas of offroad parks when taking the bronco out.. And if it's that big of an issue, I will just stick someone behind the wheel of the F250 and use my bronco to pull it to dry land. besides most of the 4 wheels drives i came across were heavily modded and or just in rough shape in general. This super clean truck won me over.

Plans for the truck are to level out the front and run a slightly larger tire. i know this kinda contradicts my need for best fuel economy but really I don't want that much of a bigger tire, just enough to make it look right after the leveling kit. I just don't like how low the front end is, it doesn't look manly.

I know the need for monitoring is necessary with diesels.. So I do plan to buy an edge CTS sooner than later.

Performance mods, probably none unless it will help with fuel economy or torque. Although, I do know the importance of deleting the egr for the 6.0, so I do plan to do that as well as run straight 4" pipe so it can breathe a little better.

I say i don't know much but clearly you can tell i have done some reading since i first bought the truck. I have changed the oil and filter (twice) and fuel filters (once) since getting the truck. I believe dino oil was used in the truck previously because of how black and broken down the used oil that came out of it was. I use motorcraft filters as everyone suggests but I have always favored mobil one synthetic oils and they have always treated all my vehicles right. So I went with the mobile one sythetic turbo diesel oil. Truck sounds better and seems to run better. Might just be me, but it definitely sounds better (less clatter). The primary fuel filter at the frame rail was dirty as heck, almost wonder if it had ever been changed. The secondary was not bad, seemed as though that was kept up with. There again I used motorcraft filters and used the proper sockets (not half inch drive). So as you can see, i'm reading and learning.

The truck doesn't have any real issues except one which didn't show it's ugly face right away. But it isn't a major one, just seems like a fuel sender issue not reading properly at gauge. But i'm not going to get into that in my introduction thread. I will read and research first and if I can't solve it then I will ask for help.

So there it is... Long.. but hello group! Look forward to learning tons more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the site and congrats on the truck! It looks like you have been doing your homework. I got the Edge CTS as well and it has been a very useful tool. I dont think Ive yet to run down the road with out looking over at it.
I think once you get to turning wrench's on the truck you will be suprised how diy freindly the truck is. Congrats!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya, after I was done with the first oil and filter and fuel filters change in about 15 minutes.. I was already thinking "well that was almost too easy".
Old 11-09-2013, 01:55 PM

HA! First time I changed my filters I just knew it wasnt gonna start and if it the truck did it would just leak all over the place...I got all done,started it and no leaks. I reached up and patted the dash like the truck had done some great thing for me...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Congrats.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.