Hoping to post about my PSD as son as I get one! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hoping to post about my PSD as son as I get one!

Hello all. 42 year old paramedic from Ontario. I love forums, so helpful and full of amazing DIY projects, advice from members, supporting vendors, ....... So, very new to disels.... So this should be fun.
My family and I are searching for our very first diesel vehicle. We have our heart set on a Excursion. We like to chauffeur our kids (2), friends and family (tones), pets (2), toys (RZRS,sleds), and of course our travel trailer (Camplite 21BHS) all over the place, what better vehicle right?
My search begins with what I am sure has been discussed allot is the 7.3l vs 6.0 PSD in a X. Once that decision is made, I have always loved upgrading and getting involved with my vehicles and both use and respect them. So, I will be hoping to do Air intake, programmer, exhaust, and later injectors, turbo, small lift and enjoy.
So looking forward to spending some time on the forum, getting me my PSDX, and having fun......
Talk to you all soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I join you in your search. I wish they would start making them again. But I know it wont happen.
The 7.3 are great old motors but the 6.0's once they are up and runnin like they were meant to be are better. But before you buy any 6.0 make sure you do your home work and never buy one without running a monitor on it first!
Once again WELCOME!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the quick info... So is "Bulletproofing" what I should be looking up first then? Also, monitoring, you mean live code reader? I have one for my gassers, so a program software to use with laptop to connect to X before purchase? Looking for codes etc? Also, quickly reading about OASIS reports! can all FORD dealerships do this? Even up in Canada? Thanks again for the reply... Appreciated....!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:54 AM

Your gonna want something like the scanguage or the edge monitor. Basically with the gauges that came factory you cannot get a idea of the health of the engine. You cannot read FICM volts, you cant read the oil temp and compare it to the coolant temp which will give you a idea of how clogged up the oil cooler is. Among other things.
The 6.o can be running just fine with bad delta's(temp difference netween the oil and coolant) and it cant tell you it's in trouble. Without a monitor it's like turning off the screen on your computer,its still up and running but you cant see what it is doing.
And I would not depend on the dealer to tell you what all is wrong with it. And nope a crafax wont help either.
As far as Bullet proofing, for me this was the way to go. I knew I loved the truck. Everything about the truck was for me awesome. It rode good,it felt tight. It didn't rattle. You know what I mean? But the motor had the common 6.0 issues creeping up. So I figured lets fix it once and get it over with. It cost more to go with BPD but with the wife and 4 kids driving this in the Colorado winter's I feel better knowing what I did.
Bulletproofdiesel.com, check it out. It will give you a idea of what kinda $$$ your lookin at. Also read on the site the article's from the mag's.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There are a ton of threads here: General 6.0L Discussion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I have been reading them for months.

This is the most comprehensive "bullet proofing" list: 6.0 Head Stud Part List.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 AM

check this out-http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/259257-write-up-monitoring-6-0l-psd.html

If you go to forums and the to general 6.0, and then check out the stickys! MASSIVE amount of info.
After reading and getting to know the 6.0 I have yet to find a 6.0 on the dealer lot that I cant find something to tear down the price with. And they hate it when you know what to look for....
Old 09-26-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
There are a ton of threads here: General 6.0L Discussion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I have been reading them for months.

This is the most comprehensive "bullet proofing" list: 6.0 Head Stud Part List.
Months for sure!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yeah, literally... I stumbled upon this site in my Google searches.

I didn't take my 6.0 decision lightly and I'm glad I went this route.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

See... Forums are the greatest. What a start. I now agree I am thinking of the 6.0l X, will look into more threads on Bulletproofing, and actually, since I know I am going to be getting a diesel, I am first going to shop a edge tuner I think for shopping the right diesel. Thanks so much guys!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 AM

Edge monitor not tuner. And it will pay you back multi times over. Keep in touch with what you find and good luck. Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help you with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.