Houston,TX newb - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Driftwood
Houston,TX newb

I don't even own a powerstroke yet, but thats why I am here. I have begun researching what to look for when I look at a used powerstroke.

I will be browsing and asking questions, so that I don't end up with a heap of problems. I will be pulling a race car with it 99% of the time. I am a budget racer and i need something reliable to get me to and from the races around the TX area.

here is one i am going to look at.........

91 F250 Extended cab long bed diesel
XL trim model with ice cold air conditioning, working cruise control, roll up windows and manual doors. Dual fuel tanks. Red interior with basket weave bench seats front and rear. Has an OEM ford bedliner, new commercial tires, new radiator, new batteries, rebuilt transmission installed 60,000 miles ago. No major dents or rust. Engine starts right up even on cold days glow plugs and controllers replaced within past year. No smoke on startup. Truck has been maintained by a company with a very rigorous maintenance schedule and mechanically its nearly perfect. Has towing package with frame mounted receiver and extended towing mirrors. current registration and inspection. Has working AM/FM/cass. with weather band. both speakers work. clear title.

The bad:
small dings and scratches typical of a 1991 work truck.
windshield has a small crack by inspection stickers
fuel sending unit isn't calibrated so tank will stay "full" for days and goes empty at an indicated 1/4 tank.
in an automatic carwash or a REALLy heaavy rain, water drips from the windshield above the rearview mirror (if you were gonna replace the windshield because of the crack this isn't a big deal and 90% of the time it doesn't leak, and it doesn't leak in light rain).

overall its in great shape just those few minor issues. Even has a full tread full size spare included. Its been a reliable daily driver for me and it will haul anything. with the 8' bed it will take a couch or a bike with the tailgate closed, and with the frame mounted receiver and the diesel motor it will tow just about anything. the diesel gets 20mpg on the highway, pretty awesome for a full size truck. vin can be provided on request but carfax doesnt show much, its been company owned by a friend of mine's c02 company out in baytown for along time. Bluebook is $2900 for this truck and I'm asking less than that. This truck is in awesome overall condition and is perfect for those of you that need to haul and tow. With gas prices changing all the time don't miss out on this chance to get some cheap reliable diesel power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome to Powerstroke.org! I'm out in Katy myself - great to have another Texan on board.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase!!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Howdy. New myself but this seems like a good group of people. I just wonder how many fellow Texans there are here
Old 10-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

From Ohio originally, but spent 25 years in Texas (mostly Houston). Graduated from Northbrook HS in 1982 (back when they spoke English there). Back home in Ohio now.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Driftwood
Well after reading a sticky @ Oilburners, i think i am going to look for another truck. I have learned alot in a day about PSD and IDI's. I work on my race car exclusively, so i am no stranger to an engine, but I have been trying to find out the little nuances of these trucks that you might want to avoid, like cavatation in the 7.3L idi that i was going to go look at.

Any opinions on what years to look for in the F250's? I am totally new to diesel trucks, but at least i know i want a ford.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:03 PM
im fat and ugly

Old 10-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

welcome driftwood! i dont think there is any major issues with that 7.3, sure they improved over the years but having owned a 92 with 300k, they are about bullit proof, especially when the maint. is done!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:34 PM
The Fat Mod

Sorry, Little late but anyway
Old 10-12-2006, 06:10 AM
Conservative and Proud

WELCOME!!!!

OMG We are being taken over by the lonestar state
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.