Greetings from Southern Illinois! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Greetings from Southern Illinois!

Hello everyone,

Name's Logan, I'm 34 years old, and I'm from Troy, IL (near St. Louis). I've been wanting a diesel for about 10 years now and my gasser '97 Silverado finally pooped the bed and ate the intake gasket. I could fix it...don't really want to...and like I said I've been wanting a diesel. The honey-do list on the house is pretty massive and my mom just bought a house that needs a lot of fixes/renovation/upkeep and I can't very well fit my tools or the materials I need in the back of a Hyundai Veloster or a Mazda Tribute...so with the blessing of the wife I went hunting on Craigslist.

I found a 2003 Powerstroke XL super cab longbed with the 7.3L in it with 162K on the clock for around 11K. It's an odd duck...manual windows, locks, and mirrors, vinyl floor, but the nice cloth 60/40 cloth seat and 4-wheel-drive with the manual transfer case shifter. The dealership pressure-washed the floorboard out before I got there and apparently screwed up one of the sensors that detect when the door is open...so the cab and cargo light stay on for a long time and the little light that warns you when the door is open always stays on but I fricken LOVE this truck.

Like I said I've wanted a diesel for a long time now and have always owned Chevy trucks myself. I also have a friend who is a big Dodge Cummins fan. Seems like Cummins trucks are lined with gold on the frame for the prices people want for them with 8 million miles on them and I've never been a big fan of the Duramax's reliability (design an oil pan that keeps you from being able to drain like 1/4 of a quart out of the truck on an oil change!?) The 7.3L trucks seem to go for a fortune too but the price on this one was just right. No leaks underneath, front end is tight, and there's no 5th wheel or gooseneck in it so it never pulled anything big.

Anyway, the Fords have a solid engine with the 7.3L and the transmissions seem to hold up well so I decided to go with a blue oval. I know it's an F250 3/4 ton so it's heavier than a half ton but the truck just seems...put together better than the other trucks I've been around. The interior components don't squeak and rattle and seem of a higher quality. Maybe I'm just biased because I finally got my first diesel. Whatever the truth I am a happy owner. Got a few bumps and bruises to take care of here and there (someone went screw-happy on the dash and I need to replace some of the plastic or start mounting crap from a JC Whitney catalog all over my dashboard) and I'd like a new 2din head unit and a nicer front grille and headlights...so I look forward to digging through your forums.

Anyway...sorry for the novella here but I'm very excited and the wife went to bed with the admonishment that I am not to waste diesel fuel driving around while she's asleep...so you guys got this post instead. I'm in the man-cave/garage having a stogie and posting from my garage laptop...so I may step out again here in a bit to look at the truck and sit in it in between reading old posts.

Edit: After a little bit of searching, some QD electrical cleaner and some PB Blaster sprayed behind the latches solved the "door-ajar" problem.

Last edited by W3ap0n-X; 05-04-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Welcome to the org.!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the org!! I am next door to you in Highland so if there is anything I can help you with let me know.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Manual windows.....heck you might have to put a how to operate the windows sticker on the dash for any body under 25 riding in the truck! Welcome!!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm not far from you either let me know if ya need anything. Welcome to the site!

Last edited by MyTractorsSexy; 05-05-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3ap0n-X View Post

Anyway, the Fords have a solid engine with the 7.3L and the transmissions seem to hold up well so I decided to go with a blue oval. I know it's an F250 3/4 ton so it's heavier than a half ton but the truck just seems...put together better than the other trucks I've been around. The interior components don't squeak and rattle and seem of a higher quality.

Welcome to ford land where trucks are built to not fall apart after a few years use. I live a couple hours east of you, holler if I can help.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Welcome! Good luck not spending every waking minute combing through this site. The info is endless!!! I have to force myself to put my phone down every couple hours to save my eyes...
Enjoy making your rig your own!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

Welcome!

Tom
Old 05-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to have you Logan - to the ORG!!

Check out the Illiana Chapter:
Illiana Strokers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's cool that some of you are so close. I'm used to being members of forums where the closest other member is a 10-hour drive away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.