NightMares Dealt with Daily - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation NightMares Dealt with Daily

ok, ok, the handle came from tying in both an email/user name everywhere else (snoopysdad) & the stoke...go figure, no gangbanging past or anything even remotely so exciting, that out of the way....

It's a '97 PS ext. cab, OBS (yes, been lurking here a while), wife did a really S-T-U-P-I-D thing a while back while I was off to P-Cola working on a big sailboat for a week....

temp gauge got all "flippant"(her word) spiked a couple times, she stopped & checked water (I mixed coolant for her & kept a gal. in the back of cab along w/oil having explained...abt. 1k times to check oil daily) & she noted that coolant tank was empty & topped off....drove abt. 25 miles & noted gauge behaving badly again...checked tank, empty again, topped up again & kept driving. Asked me that night on the phone...I said, fill radiator while cooled off & tell me if any water is leaking from bottom of engine, or front of engine? She calls back, nope...diagnosis in, bad stat, no worry, I'll get 1 on the way home...Did, the next night, meanwhile she drove when asked not to (oops), I arrive home o'dark thirty & jump on thermostat swap. Later am, she announces "no coolant"...I top off to have a steady stream begin POURING from H2O pump bearing weep...off came the pump & new installed, fired it up & ran like dog dukey (<--I hope that's acceptable since we allowed it for our kids at all ages after 5)...huge smoke rolling, it's white & thick, dark outside now, I shut down immediately & check oil...none...get out 2 gal. from the barn & check again...(w/better flashlight this time)...oops, LOTSA OIL, it's just the same creamy gray color as the stick...great, blown hd. gasket(s)...check radiator....it's all good...well, it's only running 1 way. Following morning, I drain 12 GALLONS of "paste" from the pan, entirely too much fun, & then after reading all involved in a valve job affiliated w/gasket replacement(did I mention I'm a gearhead & if You gotta get to "b", U might as well deal w/"a" on way there, as taught when a little grasshopper profitting, [or is/was/will be it prophetting?] from elder gearheads shared wisdom...
Opted for a long block versus valve job.
Wow, what a job this has turned into....
Now brand new long block is sitting in custom built wood frame on garage floor, "blown" engine is almost ready 2 snatch out, (still having a nightmare & ready to cut thru firewall to get to that danged last 10mm bolt, top drivers side on back of turbo to downpipe....errrr, all sugestions appreciated....w/all that ROOM under hood, Ya think they coulda done engine placement another INCH or so forward of firewall?) nearly Everything is out of engine compartment, as I been reading (a dangerous thing) & spending money (even more dangerous), & planned upgrades are:

chip (already purchased)
aftermarket (frame modifying) innercooler, external oil cooler, updated down pipe,
new clutch
& Y'alls further suggestions....
Now, before You go getting all crazy on me,
Please note, I've made a few prior mods....
80 gal. ext. fuel cell/tool box over front tank in bed gravity fed into front tank thru bed floor, dual racors on firewall aft of fact. filter fwd. of pump on top engine (running on WVO) w/heating elements tied into trans cooler lines leading to front (now lower) tank heating WVO, & back tank keeping real "diesel". There's nothing quite like smell of fried okra, kung pao chicken & popcorn tooling down road & when idling versus "that stinky diesel smell"(<-per others comments), & having 100 GALLONS of virtually Free fuel sitting in front tank(s), while driving 4 average 3 CENTS a mi. incl. constant filtration system monitoring....if confused, check out Website Redirect - Greasel is now GOLDEN FUEL SYSTEMS ;a single word, "awsome"
That all said, wasn't trying to start own "blog"
Would definitely love input of all who endured this rant this long 4 what YOU would do in my shoes to a bright shiny new long block before, during, after it's transplant into now comatose white "drag-on" (pun as she's used predominately 4 towing, & that was formerly horse trailer[4 horse slant load aluminum w/dressing room], occasional gooseneck, & any of 7 different bumper pull boat trailers, up to 4 axles, w/& w/o boats on them. SPEED doesn't make my heart pound, mileage & TORQUE do...getting other folks UNSTUCK on boat ramps, never getting there myself, getting UP TO SPEED on i-state while others go...W-O-W either U R doing 75+ here or U'r a yankee old fart...

are all long term desires, along w/doing a serious crank out job on 1 coming out to go into a '97-'99 F350 4x4 single axle to be acquired in near future....if You know of anybody ready to bail, also, LMK as it won't be long & no powerplant is nded...just a gr8 body & bed
I'm all ears....but clock is ticking
-mick
*also have chilton's manual for truck, can't find factory shop manual anywhere, seeking, & wtk thoughts on Bruce Amackers "tips & tricks", & other suggested reading material?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Banned

You should have lifted the cab.... Much easier to wotk with.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:25 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcome to the ORG.!

Try this link for help removing the turbo:OBS turbo removal/installation tips

Hope all goes well!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseltweek View Post
You should have lifted the cab.... Much easier to work with.
Its a OBS, not a SD....

It is a PITA to remove the first time....

I cut the EBPV actuator housing off and tig welded the oil passage ways closed, Now I can take mine off in 30-40 min....
Old 01-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
whew, what a read!!! welcome to the site!!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:33 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseltweek View Post
Its a OBS, not a SD....

It is a PITA to remove the first time....

I cut the EBPV actuator housing off and tig welded the oil passage ways closed, Now I can take mine off in 30-40 min....

I took mine off to replace the stock housing when I did my stage 1's. I didn't replace the o-rings and had to take it back off the next day. I got pretty good at it, only 30 minutes total. Then I wrote a tech article
Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
to the ORG!!
Old 01-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the org. and good luck with your truck.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:40 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
That was some good reading!

Probably can't help much with the project, sounds like you got your hands full with a nice sounding set-up...but here's a
Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.