Renegade 6.0 Diesel Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Renegade 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Renegade 6.0 Diesel Owner

Hey guys, I bought this 2007 F250 PSD Renegade in Oct 2011 as a future puller of a 5th wheel. After my first camping trip in July 2012 I returned home and popped the hood to check the fluids. To my horror I discovered the dreaded "white residue" all over. Yup, it appears the owner before me had blown the head gaskets while towing horse trailers and decided to trade the truck in. Not know anything about diesels I bought this baby because of her beauty and low mileage (58000). Well now its mine to fix and thats just what im going to do. After months of research and quotes from dealers and local shops I have decided, after seeing the Under the knife sticky, that I will be taking this on myself. I hope to begin in the late spring once I have all the parts. I found this site to be the most helpful after reading other threads so I decided to join. I cant wait to get started, enlist your help and post pics of the upcoming "A newbie tackles the 6.0 gaskets series" Thanks in advance for the help I know I will receive.

[IMG][/IMG]
Renegade 6.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
481-SCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston ,OK
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And good luck with the repairs

Name is Allen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 Crew Cab 7.3 5 speed 6 position TS chip,Glow Shift gauges Boost,fuel pressure, and EGT has a flat bed.


Keep Oklahoma Powerstrokes alive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
481-SCO is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Premium Member
 
MyTractorsSexy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St.Louis Mo
Posts: 1,622
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
damn good looking truck. sorry to hear about your misfortune with the head gaskets. we will be here to help you through it! goodluck. and welcome to the website!

07 F250-SOLD

2011 Black CC SB Lariat F250, 2015 Retrofit, MPD IC Piping, H&S Mini Maxx, 5"Flo-pro Exhaust, Sininster Egr Delete, Recon Smoked Lights, No Limit S2 Intake, 20% Tint, BDS 8" 4-Link Lift w/ Fox Shocks & Dual Steering Stabilizer, Toyo MT's, 2-Piece Fuel Maverick 22x12 Wheels, PTM Grille Surround, T REX X-Metal Grille, super bright leds 6500K heads and fogs, kenwood double din, 4 hertz 210W door speakers 2 JL TW3 10s kenwood amps.

Thanks to bigblack for selling me his truck
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MyTractorsSexy is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,172
Thanks: 6
Thanked 144 Times in 135 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's a fun job. I'm doing an Excursion right now. Before you get to into it, check and make sure you don't just have an EGR cooler issue, if you haven't already. You might get lucky and only have to do that and an oil cooler.
dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM

 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,393
Thanks: 98
Thanked 106 Times in 84 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^ What Doug said. Check out the EGR cooler unless it was deleted. Either way you will probably end up doing head gaskets but it's not bad at all. It looks WAY worse than it really is. LOL the 6.0's bark is worse than it's bite.

l BRYAN l


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
COMPIGNTECH .COM

Look us up on Facebook
COMPRESSION IGNITION TECHNOLOGIES

l 2005 l Ford F250 l FTX l
[A Few Odds-N-Ends]


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tuscany is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Renegade 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
It's a fun job. I'm doing an Excursion right now. Before you get to into it, check and make sure you don't just have an EGR cooler issue, if you haven't already. You might get lucky and only have to do that and an oil cooler.
I to was hoping for that. Ford did the coolant pressure test while driving and said they hit close to 20 psi. During my research I purchased a PLX Kiwi OBDII scanner and linked it with Torque Pro on my android. I monitored my Oil and Coolant temps during normal driving and they stayed within 5 degrees of each other. So until I perform the coolant pressure test myself I have to take thier word for it.
Renegade 6.0 is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Renegade 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
^ What Doug said. Check out the EGR cooler unless it was deleted. Either way you will probably end up doing head gaskets but it's not bad at all. It looks WAY worse than it really is. LOL the 6.0's bark is worse than it's bite.
Thanks Bryan, I will be leaning on you quite a bit in the near future. Thanks for the great walkthrough. I had all but lost hope and then I read that thread. Thanks again
Renegade 6.0 is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,172
Thanks: 6
Thanked 144 Times in 135 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade 6.0 View Post
I to was hoping for that. Ford did the coolant pressure test while driving and said they hit close to 20 psi. During my research I purchased a PLX Kiwi OBDII scanner and linked it with Torque Pro on my android. I monitored my Oil and Coolant temps during normal driving and they stayed within 5 degrees of each other. So until I perform the coolant pressure test myself I have to take thier word for it.
Well, good luck on the repair then. It's not too bad, just a TON of parts to take off.
dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM

 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,393
Thanks: 98
Thanked 106 Times in 84 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade 6.0 View Post
Thanks Bryan, I will be leaning on you quite a bit in the near future. Thanks for the great walkthrough. I had all but lost hope and then I read that thread. Thanks again
No problem bud. Just take a look in the engine valley on the left side under the turbo. If you see a round tube that U's back around to the oil cooler housing you have a EGR delete. If you see a square cooler looking thing that goes to the back and connects to the up pipes than you have an egr cooler and I would test it first.

How you do that is to start the truck and run it up to operating temperature. Then shut it down and wait 30 mins then come back out and start it again. If it smokes white out of the exhaust you have a ruptured EGR cooler. Replace or delete immediately. If you don't have a EGR cooler and instead have a EGR delete installed than your head gaskets are shot and I wouldn't drive it anymore until it's repaired or you risk cracking your heads.

l BRYAN l


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
COMPIGNTECH .COM

Look us up on Facebook
COMPRESSION IGNITION TECHNOLOGIES

l 2005 l Ford F250 l FTX l
[A Few Odds-N-Ends]


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tuscany is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Renegade 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
No problem bud. Just take a look in the engine valley on the left side under the turbo. If you see a round tube that U's back around to the oil cooler housing you have a EGR delete. If you see a square cooler looking thing that goes to the back and connects to the up pipes than you have an egr cooler and I would test it first.

How you do that is to start the truck and run it up to operating temperature. Then shut it down and wait 30 mins then come back out and start it again. If it smokes white out of the exhaust you have a ruptured EGR cooler. Replace or delete immediately. If you don't have a EGR cooler and instead have a EGR delete installed than your head gaskets are shot and I wouldn't drive it anymore until it's repaired or you risk cracking your heads.
I will look when I get home from work. Thanks
Renegade 6.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome