Renegade 6.0 Diesel Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Renegade 6.0 Diesel Owner

Hey guys, I bought this 2007 F250 PSD Renegade in Oct 2011 as a future puller of a 5th wheel. After my first camping trip in July 2012 I returned home and popped the hood to check the fluids. To my horror I discovered the dreaded "white residue" all over. Yup, it appears the owner before me had blown the head gaskets while towing horse trailers and decided to trade the truck in. Not know anything about diesels I bought this baby because of her beauty and low mileage (58000). Well now its mine to fix and thats just what im going to do. After months of research and quotes from dealers and local shops I have decided, after seeing the Under the knife sticky, that I will be taking this on myself. I hope to begin in the late spring once I have all the parts. I found this site to be the most helpful after reading other threads so I decided to join. I cant wait to get started, enlist your help and post pics of the upcoming "A newbie tackles the 6.0 gaskets series" Thanks in advance for the help I know I will receive.

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

And good luck with the repairs
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
damn good looking truck. sorry to hear about your misfortune with the head gaskets. we will be here to help you through it! goodluck. and welcome to the website!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

It's a fun job. I'm doing an Excursion right now. Before you get to into it, check and make sure you don't just have an EGR cooler issue, if you haven't already. You might get lucky and only have to do that and an oil cooler.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^ What Doug said. Check out the EGR cooler unless it was deleted. Either way you will probably end up doing head gaskets but it's not bad at all. It looks WAY worse than it really is. LOL the 6.0's bark is worse than it's bite.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
It's a fun job. I'm doing an Excursion right now. Before you get to into it, check and make sure you don't just have an EGR cooler issue, if you haven't already. You might get lucky and only have to do that and an oil cooler.
I to was hoping for that. Ford did the coolant pressure test while driving and said they hit close to 20 psi. During my research I purchased a PLX Kiwi OBDII scanner and linked it with Torque Pro on my android. I monitored my Oil and Coolant temps during normal driving and they stayed within 5 degrees of each other. So until I perform the coolant pressure test myself I have to take thier word for it.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
^ What Doug said. Check out the EGR cooler unless it was deleted. Either way you will probably end up doing head gaskets but it's not bad at all. It looks WAY worse than it really is. LOL the 6.0's bark is worse than it's bite.
Thanks Bryan, I will be leaning on you quite a bit in the near future. Thanks for the great walkthrough. I had all but lost hope and then I read that thread. Thanks again
Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade 6.0 View Post
I to was hoping for that. Ford did the coolant pressure test while driving and said they hit close to 20 psi. During my research I purchased a PLX Kiwi OBDII scanner and linked it with Torque Pro on my android. I monitored my Oil and Coolant temps during normal driving and they stayed within 5 degrees of each other. So until I perform the coolant pressure test myself I have to take thier word for it.
Well, good luck on the repair then. It's not too bad, just a TON of parts to take off.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade 6.0 View Post
Thanks Bryan, I will be leaning on you quite a bit in the near future. Thanks for the great walkthrough. I had all but lost hope and then I read that thread. Thanks again
No problem bud. Just take a look in the engine valley on the left side under the turbo. If you see a round tube that U's back around to the oil cooler housing you have a EGR delete. If you see a square cooler looking thing that goes to the back and connects to the up pipes than you have an egr cooler and I would test it first.

How you do that is to start the truck and run it up to operating temperature. Then shut it down and wait 30 mins then come back out and start it again. If it smokes white out of the exhaust you have a ruptured EGR cooler. Replace or delete immediately. If you don't have a EGR cooler and instead have a EGR delete installed than your head gaskets are shot and I wouldn't drive it anymore until it's repaired or you risk cracking your heads.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
No problem bud. Just take a look in the engine valley on the left side under the turbo. If you see a round tube that U's back around to the oil cooler housing you have a EGR delete. If you see a square cooler looking thing that goes to the back and connects to the up pipes than you have an egr cooler and I would test it first.

How you do that is to start the truck and run it up to operating temperature. Then shut it down and wait 30 mins then come back out and start it again. If it smokes white out of the exhaust you have a ruptured EGR cooler. Replace or delete immediately. If you don't have a EGR cooler and instead have a EGR delete installed than your head gaskets are shot and I wouldn't drive it anymore until it's repaired or you risk cracking your heads.
I will look when I get home from work. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.