Newbie with loads of questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Newbie with loads of questions

Hi all,
I just lost my Dad a few months ago and he left behind a 2003 F350 CCLB 7.3 auto trans. I love the truck and I have managed to get the fuel mileage up to 20.5 hwy and 19.1 city. it was a solid 10.5 when i picked up the truck! I have installed a K&N air filter in the stock box and added the Edge CTS Juice with attitude. I have always been a GAS guy until now. So my question is how can I improve the mileage with the new CTS I don't undertand all the backdown settings and boost setting and what they change??? I am still playing with settings. I just do not want to blow Dads truck up. So any help would be great!

Logistex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry to hear for your loss. what an unfortunate way to get into the diesel world.
There is lots of useful info on here in the 7.3 sections.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Welcome to the org. Sorry for your loss.

Sounds like you have done wonders with getting the MPGs up. One thing I am sure you will hear is get that K&N filter out from under the hood. Not very popular among a lot of folks. An open filter seemed to help mine breath better. You need an exhaust to match it. Air in - air out.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

agreed with hank. a K&N filter lets to large of particles by and can lead to compressor wheel damage and also engine "dusting" meaning particles getting into the cylinder walls and scoring them.

sorry to hear about your dad, i lost mine about 3.5 years ago. i know how you are feeling. but he left you a great truck.

i personally dont have an edge cts, so i dont know a ton about them. but i do know that you can stick a pyrometer in the exhaust manifild and get your egts, and then you;ll have all the guages you need right there, plus some tuning. the newer edge stuff is WAY better than the older edge stuff.....dont run the older stuff...meaning from like 2 years ago or older....they dont tune the trans and can lead to failure.

youre getting possibly the best mileage you can get out of one of those trucks without adding methanol system into the mix. 20 mpg is great. i know, i used to get that on the interstate....then i added larger wheels, bigger injectors, larger turbo....couldnt keep my foot out of the throttle, and now i end up somewhere about 16 on the hwy....LOL but im a power junkie, so ill sacrifice...hahahaha

LOTS of info on DIY stuff in the 7.3 tech files you may look over. not all of the posts deal with power adding stuff....so read read read...you'll find more about your truck than you might want to find. LOL
Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I'm still working on navigating the site. I always thought K&N made a good product! I guess I will look into the open dry element air filter.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Emergency Services

Welcome to the org...sorry about your loss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3 help, f350 engine fear factor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.