Potentially new to a 6.0.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Potentially new to a 6.0....

Well I'm thinking about picking up an 06 powerstroke I found for what I think is a decent deal the truck has 89k on it. My concern is I have heard horror stories about these 6.0's. I don't drive far to work, and about 3miles so will a diesel be more work than its worth for me to deal with (I. E. Letting the truck properly warm up before heading out, fuel issues etc.,
Second is the head stud issue/ egr . necessary fix? I wouldn't go crazy, don't have the money to just a mild tuner exhaust and call it a day. I'm looking for some input here guys hope I've come to the right place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I went through the same concerns a few years ago when I first looked into these trucks. All these trucks, including the 6.0, have there issues. There are numerous threads on here on what to look for with these trucks. You need to do some research on here first. You need to understand these issues and what to look for. A diesel truck is more expensive to run and maintain than a gasser.

The real question you need to answer is what do you want. I wanted a diesel excursion, and I got it. I don't care that it costs me more in maintenance, I love it. You need to get an OASIS report, and have the means of monitoring the deltas between oil and coolant before you buy. Make sure there are no codes present. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 AM

What do you drive now?

I went from gas engine F150's to an 06' 6.0 and did do some research prior to purchasing it, but I didn't do enough. They do have higher and costlier maintenance requirements, but read the stickies here, and adhere to the advice of knowledgeable members/technicians and you should be able to avoid many of the expenses you hear about in those horror stories.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help guys it definitely makes me. Think. I've ways wanted a diesel but the maintenance scares me because I don't need the diesel for everyday duties, more like occasional ones
I drive a 2010 tundra now and I love it. I was thinking about lifting that to satisfy my needs lol
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 AM

Not trying to scare you off, because I was in that same situation. You just need to make educated decisions. I wanted a diesel, and was prepared for the decisions I made. I don't regret my decision one bit. I would not trade my Excursion for anything. Only you can make the decision, do what's best for you. I needed a tow vehicle with room for 7, made perfect sense. Make the best decision for your situation. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.