Please help me decide - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help me decide

First of the first.Have been wanting to go from gas to deisel for while now and currently looking at the 2012 F250 Lariats. A couple questions I have is what can I expect for MPG .I drive 80 miles round trip hwy for work so thats why I'm leaning to go deisel.What's the deal with getting a chip installed when it's new or should I wait till the warranty is out. Any advice will be greatly appeciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you want a diesel solely for gas mileage, don't get it.
You're mileage can be fairly good depending on weight, add ons, gearing, etc.
But your maintenance will be much higher than a gas motor. so unless you just don't care, it won't help you.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've always heard the maintance on a deisel is alot less frequent than gas. I do understand that it cost more.
One of my other reasons for wanting a deisel was after 5 years the gas truck will have approx. 120,000-140,000 miles and won't be worth nada. On the other hand the deisel is just getting broke in a can handle another 5 years. Im trying to justify to myself for getting one of those nice looking 250's
Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM

Oil changes need to be every 5k miles when still running a DPF. If you don't not understand what a DPF is or how a regen cycle affects engine oil, do more research. Diesel fuel dilutes the engine oil basically. So that needs to be changed often. 13qts of oil, especially synthetic can be pricey, but worth it if you want to take care of it.
With the fuel systems being so sensitive, you need to change fuel filters fairly often, there are two. Many ppl will change it every oil change just to be safe.
Fuel filters are way more expensive than gas fuel filters that you can even change.
I'll say this; if everyone had to justify any purchase, we would all have WAY more money, be smarter, and I sure wouldn't have a 105gal fuel tank w/elec pump
So, if you want it, get it. But I don't want you to have any misconceptions about saving money with it.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the info.Now I'm sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JK.
Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Now, an older IDI or 7.3 is a lot cheaper on maintenance, but it'd take a decent amount of preliminary mods to get it to get "good" mileage
Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

My 2012 F350 is showing on dash 17.1 mpg instant fuel mileage not pulling much yet but pretty much 80+ where ever I go in it. not stomping on throttle leaving stop lights. Annd have had alot of idling done. Added fuel just to top it off twice, no exhaust fluid yet.. seems what I read its around first oil change. Biggest trouble so far is place to park the long son of a gun, at angle on small streets its pretty much road block with its 8 ft bed, parallel parking bumpers just fit inside blocks and none can see around it. BUT wouldnt trade it back for nothing. Love my F 350
Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Emergency Services

^ thats one of the problems i have when i came visit my parents in the city is parking...but like u said i wouldnt trade it for the world....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.