Just another New guy (no truck, yet) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just another New guy (no truck, yet)

I have been looking around at truck, nothing real serious. But the other day I looked at a 2004 F250 CC/SB 6.0/Auto. The asking price is OK (far below book) but it was a work truck. Which I have no problem with so long as the maintenance was done properly.

I called my older brother out in OR, he has 4 Ford CC diesels ('92-98) loves his 7.3's.. asked him about the 2004 6.0L and he told me to go do some homework/research. Which is why I joined.

There seem to be quite a few of the 2002-2007 Ford CC/SD's for sale. With automagic or manual and the 6.0 I need to make up my mind if the troubles I have seen (EGR/Oil coolers, EGR/Turbo issues, 4 head bolts per cylinder/head gaskets) are liveable or if I should avoid this motor.

I see there are quite a few on here with the 6.0 so they can't all suck

Greetings all, time for me to get to reading...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to have you - to the ORG!

Plenty of info here - Reading will keep ya busy.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:45 PM

I am starting here..
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Apparently I need to get up to speed on the TLAs that y'all use around here.

FWIW, the truck I was/am looking at has 260k miles, bald tires, well worn dirty 'work' interior and it took some abuse in the box. The tailgate should be thrown away, dinged from the outside and you can slip your hand between the box and the tailgate on the inside. The only other physical damage appears to be the driver taillight area was crushed in (and poorly pushed back out) and the lower edge of the box on the driver side is 'pushed in' just enough that it is visible but there is no dent/crease.

Current asking price is $5500 (well below kbb of $12k)

I drive 250-300 miles per week straight up and down i29 here in Fargo, ND. The posted speed limit is 75mph and I drive AT LEAST that fast. The only towing I do is about 40 miles (each way) to pull my 22ft pontoon to and from the lake, which happens only in the summer and only one day per weekend.

So this guys asking price is about 'right' for me. Since I want larger diameter (not necessarily wider) tires now would be the time to install them. The bumpers on this truck are 'not pretty', which is fine, I wanted to buy/make new pre-runner style bumpers for it. Eventually I'd like to put some fender flares on it, I figured that would also be a good time to look for a different bed for the pickup and determine if I want any graphics painted onto it.

To keep the kids teeth from rattling out, I am going to be researching lift options with either multi-leaf springs or air over leaf options (I'd most likely use a single long track bar per axle to keep it from rotating)

Or maybe I should just wait, and buy the '67-79 CC that I always wanted and then upgrade it with a 7.3 out of a different truck... like this potential donor...
Super Duty Dually
"1994 XLT Superduty Dually. P/W and locks, A/C that works great. This truck has had recent paint, which is not perfect but very respectable. New windshield, New wood on flatbed. It has a 7.3 diesel with a manual 4 speed with overdrive" $2200 (300k miles)
Its not a 4wd, but I could run a divorced transfer case to take care of that..
Old 09-30-2012, 02:49 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Welcome to the org.!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:36 AM

So six months went by, I kept driving my old GMC ('94 k2500 5.7/Auto Ext/SB) and then last Monday I got t-boned by a semi.. (that sucked) so no instead of idly watching sales and doing research I am thrown into 'need to buy a truck mode' as you can guess the old DD was totaled, which sucked I had that pickup since it had 7 miles on it.

It will be missed, the top picture is 2 weeks ago, and the bottom one is last Monday night (3/25/13)

I am realistically looking for basic transportation, I don't need bells or whistles. I have too many friends that bought used vehicles at premium prices only to have issues crop up, one in particular bought a '09 Tahoe and has been chasing out of warranty wiring gremlins through his nice 'features' ever since.. power locks, power windows, power seat, fuel ventilation system, most recently a lock release solenoid in his non-power hatch failed so he couldn't open the hatch... I just don't need that sort of thing. And I can't afford a new one with a warranty. More features = more things to fix.

Uses will be pulling a 24ft pontoon on bunk trailer every weekend, about 100 miles round trip, I will be pulling a 2 horse, that we will probably upgrade to a 5th wheel gooseneck 4 horse so when the wife and kids want to go riding in the sand hills or to horse shows we can haul all three of our critters. But by far its main use will be 300 miles every week up and down the interstate near the posted speed limit of 75mph.. Between my house and work it is 25miles of virtually straight interstate. With only minor variances to drop the kids off at daycare of preschool.

I have been out looking at trucks, hopefully this won't offend your delicate senses, but 1/2t Fords are out of the running.
Truck Shopping 2013

My bosses both have 2011 ecoboost CC/SB trucks and while they are nice there are just too many things that I don't like about them. Ride quality, fuel efficiency, interior layout, wet blanket traction control features.

Boss's truck (yes we are still buried in snow)

The newer ones are out of my price range and the older ones have what I consider undesirable motors (4.6/5.4L) My wife used to drive one for work and it was a gutless gas sucking pig, you step on the gas, the transmission would drop 2 gears the engine would wind to the sky and you wouldn't go any faster.

I have looked at 1/2t GMs (overt your eyes) but only CC/SB/5.3L. I haven't liked a single one, they have an uncomfortable loose feeling to them (2004-2006's), plus I know they are not great on fuel. The only pluses are that I know how to work on Gas motors. GM 6.0's are dead to me, again gas sucking pigs, my neighbor has had his '06 2500 since it was new and I don't think he has ever broke double digits.

So that leaves me at 3/4t and higher GM and Fords.

Last week I test drove a 2006 CC/LB/6.0L/Auto/12k6/XL. Base model, vinyl seats, rubber floor mats, guy was asking $8500. I even took the wife in a drive in it. The only thing she didn't like about it was the Long Bed it had air/tilt/cruise/manual windows.. For some reason I didn't snap a pic of the one I test drove, but I took pictures of the other 2 that he has.

2006 F250/CC/LB/6.0/160k

2007 F250/CC/LB/6.0/FX4/210k
This one had the nicest body, the full length running boards work nicely for saving the bottom of the cab. This one also had cloth inserts in the vinyl seats and a transfer case lever instead of the push button (all wins in my book)

And then I found out that one of our office us in Alaska may have some 2007 and 2008 F250 (and heavier) trucks coming back down my way real soon and while I haven't gotten prices yet, they said that for internal employees they usually sell them for what is remaining on the loan, not sure what that is going to look like but I should start getting VINs and pictures today or tomorrow..

Last edited by phlegm; 04-02-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.