new to the 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to the 7.3

Hi everybody. For the last two years I have been scouting for a nice used PSTD 7.3and I found one ... exactly what I wanted, a 2000 SD XLT with a 7.3 and only 110,000 miles. The truck is bone stock, no mods of any kind. I got it form the original owner and it appears to have been very well maintained.

I simply do not know where to start. I guess I will head to the local ford dealer to see if the CPS is the one that is correct (the grey one I think?) and the recall done. Then I plan on ordering a spare and another o ring for it. They will ride in the glove box.

Consider me a sponge ... I am interested in learning all I can from you folks and in doing a few improvement mods. I do not plan to chip this truck (auto trans) but just want good mileage. I plan to run biodiesel and perhaps some WVO.

I run WVO in the benz and it runs better on that than it does pump diesel. Lots of folks have spoken highly of the PSTD 7.3 as far as using WVO goes. I hope that is the case.

Looking forward to learning from all of you.

Kind Regards,
tretpflyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

A chip and guages will help you both monitor potential problems and give you mileage with the correct tuning. So, chipping it is something I would look to do.

Killing time on here with my smart phone....
Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to have you - to the ORG!!

If you haven't already, check out these forums:
Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L Forums - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Also, check out the Carolina's Chapter:
Carolina Powerstroke Association - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - Might be able to tap into some info from folks local to you also.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM

WOW ... that is a wild beast you have there.

I don't know if it is true or not but I have been told that upping the numbers via chipping just cuts into the gas mileage and that the auto trans can't handle the added HP. I think that these trucks are a bit "overbuilt" though and probably more stout than I think.

What suggestions would you have? What chip? What gauges? What vendors?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 06:18 PM

THANKS ... going there now. Looking forward to learning from all of you and perhaps meeting some local folks.

I have always been "gonzo" over Ford trucks and that is all I have ever owned since 1982. I have never owned an auto trans though because in college I blew out the trans on my Uncle's F150 while hauling my stuff home. It cost more to repair it than the truck was worth and he just got a new one. Ever since that, every truck for me has been a manual. This is the first ATrans. I hope it holds up well.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the ORG!

I wouldnt get too concerned with the trans if the truck is seeing light duty.
The only issue with the auto (4r100) in our truck is overheating and this is caused by an insufficient trans cooler.

Start skimming through those links provided and there will be a lot of info there that will likely cause you to have other questions.

Pics are a great way to introduce yourself!! :
Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 PM

thanks. I like your sigpic.

I have done several mods on my bike over the years and in the early years all everybody raved about was putting in these high compression pistons and new ignition module. Turns out that $1000 and a lot of wrenching only yielded a measly 5hp. I "fell for it though and spent the dough". I DO NOT want to make that mistake with this truck.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM

I just might consider doing the upgraded torque converter and a larger trans cooler.

I got 20mpg running 65-70 on the trip back home and I was babying it. Not much acceleration, but you can tell the power is there.

Last edited by tretpflyr; 09-26-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tretpflyr View Post
WOW ... that is a wild beast you have there.

I don't know if it is true or not but I have been told that upping the numbers via chipping just cuts into the gas mileage and that the auto trans can't handle the added HP. I think that these trucks are a bit "overbuilt" though and probably more stout than I think.

What suggestions would you have? What chip? What gauges? What vendors?

Thanks
Thanks! Its an addiction....lol Any reputable tuner like tony wildman, or PHP or beans are all good ones to choose from. Just tell them you want a daily driver tune and a highway economy tune to boost your mileage. Also tell them to leave the stock tune on the number one position for diagnostic purposes. A three position chip will suffice for what you do. If you tow anything like a car trailer, or a camper, then get a tow tune added to the chip and do a 4 position chip. You will need to buy guages too, to keep an eye on the truck and operation temps and pressures. Any of these guys can set you up with guages too. Tony wildman is total diesel performance. Beans diesel is another that I mentioned. And PHP is power hungry performance.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah there is a lot of expensive "ideas" for our trucks and a little bit research on here will help guide you. Most on here dont buy into the "buy the most expensive parts offered because it HAS to make more power" idea.

Now, how bout some pics!! Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.