Convince me to buy a powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Convince me to buy a powerstroke

Hi everyone, I currently drive a 2007 F-150 Lariat but have always wanted a deisel. Well last week my cousin was joking around and said he'd trade me his 2000 F250 for my truck. We kind of just laughed it off but then I really started thinking about it. Recently I have been doing a lot more towing (24ft enclosed race trailer) and it puts my little F150 to the test every time. Also winter is coming and I need to buy a plow truck or pay someone to plow. Heres the specs of each truck, I need advise.

My 07 F-150 Lariat Crew Cab
kbb = $19,500
95,000 miles
leather, 5.4, roush exhaust, pretty much stock

His 00 F-250 XLT Extended Cab
kbb = $13,700
80,000 miles
power commander, 7.3 turbo, 5" exhaust, other than that stock

Im leaning towards the trade even though it is a $5,800 hit. Being a powerstroke forum, Im assuming I'll get a biased opinion out of a lot of you but I guess I'm just curious if there is any common issues or concerns I should be aware of. Ive never owned a deisel, anything I should know before getting one? I'm going to look at his truck this weekend and let you know how it turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you want a diesel why not sell your truck and buy one rather than get involved in a trade with a family member?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hate selling stuff, people are a pain to deal with. I like his truck, I know he takes very good care of it and I know everything that he has done to the truck. Plus you dont usually find a 11 year old truck with only 80k miles. Ive been looking around and dont think I could get much better of a truck selling mine and buying another.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 AM

well if you need someone to tell you what to do, go buy it! you most likely wont regret it. but you better see how serious he was, he may have been just as kidding as you were. and upon thinking of it, he probly dosent want to loose his truck
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't need anyone to tell me what to do, I was just looking for some feedback about these trucks from people that own them, you know strong points, issues, problems, ect. I already talked to him and he's willing to do the trade. He has a long commute to work and the 6 speed gets old after a while. He also doesn't tow anything or plow so the f150 makes sense for him
Old 09-13-2012, 10:08 AM

i was just kidding well a 7.3 with a 6 speed, it does not get much more reliable than that. that is a solid set up! but then again i may be slightly biased but seriously the 7.3 has the reputation of being a faithful servent, if treated and maintained right.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's good to hear! I've been told the 7.3 is one of the best motors ever but have no first hand experience with them (or any other deisel for that matter). I was thinking in the future as well, my f150 has 95k miles, we know what happens to gas motors and their values after 100k. This deisel with the 6 speed should last a long time and hold its value. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 AM

no problem, i hope it all works out for you!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just a follow up, we ended up doing the trade! Im very happy with the super duty. This truck is in great condition. Plans are 05 front end swap, leveling kit and a little bigger tires. Heres some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Convince me to buy a powerstroke-91612-2.jpg   Convince me to buy a powerstroke-91612-1.jpg   Convince me to buy a powerstroke-91612-4.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 AM

he made out like a bandit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.