Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Am I stupid?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Hank 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

My name is Chris. I'm born and raised just outside of Detroit, Michigan. Been a truck addict all my life, and even more so a Ford fan. Ford Motor Company has been putting bread on the table in most of my family members household their whole lives :ford: I'm the proud owner of 2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 with the EcoBoost. Was a little iffy on going from a V8 to a V6, but I honestly love the motor and the truck in general.

Long story short, as happy as I am with my F-150, I have always had the urge for a diesel. I have always been captivated by the looks of the 6.0 for some odd reason or another, and I always said I would own myself a lifted 6.0. A friend of mine just purchased a lifted King Ranch 6.4 which doesn't exactly help my urge any either.

Am I stupid to consider selling my truck for an older Stroke? I would love a nice 7.3, but being in Michigan, it's hard to find one without a rusty frame or body. Like I mentioned, I'm not sure of my attraction to the 6.0. I've done my research on the problems with the motor and that, and have several friends who own them and would be there to help me do the work and give me pointers. I also have a friend who promised me dibs on his 07' F-350 Outlaw, but who knows when he'll give that up. Or why he would :look:

Anywho, sorry that was long winded. Lookin' forward to learnin' lots of info and meeting new guys who share the same passion for Powerstrokes! (despite the fact I don't even own one!)

PS - I've included a few pictures of my EB and of the other toy! :ford:

Chris

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! Nice truck and mustang!
You say you've read up on common problems with the 6.0 and that's all well and good. Even better that you have friends to help you do mods (exhaust, EGR cooler, oil cooler, head studs, turbo, injectors, on and on and on). But modern diesel ownership also requires constant monitoring and meticulous maintenance if you want it to last. If you have the time, tools, work space and some mechanical aptitude then the 6.0 can be a rewarding - but not inexpensive - experience.

#3 ·
Jim you hit the nail on the head. But don't let that scare you op I'm currently doing a head gasket and head stud job in my driveway link to build thread in my signature. Welcome to the org and enjoy your stay there is a pleathura of information here to help you in your future endeavors.

#4 ·
No, not trying to scare you F-Series :tase: but if you scratch this itch you have, go into it eyes wide open. That said, a guy who knows what he's doing can get a great deal on a 6.0 from somebody who wants to return to the drive-and-forget world of gassers.
And the 6.4 - newer and more expensive and I've not owned one - but I read that tuned and deleted those things are friggin rockets. Also harder to work on.

#5 ·
Welcome to the org.! :thumb:

Come south and find a rust free 7.3! :wink[3]:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.