I really wish I bought one sooner
I've dealt with import cars most of my life, mainly 3000gt's, dsms, and subarus. I currently own a 94 3000gt vr4 and an sti swapped 98 Subaru Impreza. I just picked up a 2005 Ford f250 diesel lariat with 119k miles on it last week. It was a virginia truck for sale in Pittsburg PA. I hate rust so it's worth driving a little ways to get one. I drove my vr4 home from san diego back in 2008 with 39k miles on it.
I have a computer engineering degree and work on medical software but I'm a complete car junkie. I do all of my work myself (window tinting, clutches, drivetrain swaps, painting, polishing, sandblasting, wiring, etc) I even did the wire harness merge in my subaru. I have a lift, and a car trailer (hence need for the truck). I like to buy old dsms/3000gts/subarus/stand up jet skis on craigslist and fix them up or part them out in my spare time.
Anywho, I don't plan on lifting my truck or doing anything crazy with it. Going from driving my lowered 3000gt to a truck takes a little getting used to. I just want to make it reliable and rust proof it. I'm still researching but these are my plans.
- pull cab and bed, clean and por15 everything, spray bar and chain oil inside frame rails
- Drill 5 2" holes in the bottom of my tail gate to let it drain better. por15 the inside
- pull interior out and either por15 or grease the cab corners, same for inside the doors. The truck isn't rusty now and I want to keep it that way.
- arp headstuds
- HPOP upgrade kit
- FPR upgrade kit w/ 6.4 banjo bolts
- clean turbo vanes when everything is apart
- change coolant with non silcone type
- change oil and fuel filters. I use rotella 5w40 t6 in my subaru which is a diesel oil. I've seen it ina few people's sig's on here. It would be nice to just stock up on it. I use brad penn oil in my vr4
- egr delete
- 4 or 5" turboback exhaust
- scp tuner
- weathertechs (already ordered)
- buff entire truck
I'm still debating what to do with the oil cooler. The truck runs and drives 100% right now with no problems. It's probably way overkill for what I'll be using it for so I may just stick with the stock oil cooler.
here are some pics. I paid $13.5k for it. It needed 2 new tires up front, 1 tie rod end, and the abs light is on.
and here are my other cars. I have a ton of extra pics on photobucket if anyone is interested.