Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rookie Ford diesel owner

712 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Stumppy 
#1 ·
Hey, I just joined the forum and I have some ?'s about my diesel. I bought a 2004 Excursion for pulling my camper and when it's not in use for that my wife likes to drive it. I have had it for 2 months and I believe the oil cooler has given up. It has the chocolate milk shake looking liquid in the degas can. Anyway I was looking at maybe bullet proofing it myself or taking it to Christian Bro's in TN but that would be a haul as I live in Southern IN. How hard is the mod to do? Also I looked at Louisville Diesel injection but they put Garret after market stuff in and I don't think it will totally eliminate my problem. Any info or experience on this would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to the org.! :thumb:

I'm sure a 6.0 owner will be along soon to help you out.

#4 ·
Hi, welcome to Powerstroke.org :thumb: Had a problem with mine when I bought it so the dealer fixed it with a one year warranty, so I'm going to do some stuff to make it last longer, like change the coolant (to a EC-1 ELC type), did the fuel regulator update (helps lube fuel injectors) and after warranty will do more bullet proofing... As I've read on here you can do too much, so monitoring is what I'm doing while I wait, then jump on it as soon as I need to. It sounds like you need it done now, you'll do great... Lots of threads on here on how to do it your self and save a bunch of money...

#6 ·
I'd recommend not doing it yourself if you've never gone past the turbo. It is a very tedious and time consuming task.

#7 ·
But how else is a person to learn about their truck???

I went in to swap out the oil cooler and do an egr delete without even researching/ knowing what they LOOKED like... I just figured once I got to them I would be able to recognize them lol.

I would not be scared of this engine. Is it quite simple once you take everything off :hehe:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#9 ·
I just did mine egr delete oil cooler rebuild and studs and it wasn't too bad. I gave myself a few days to do it and I've never torn into a diesel before turned out pretty good. Just take your time and take lots of notes and pics.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.