OH SNAP!!! First time Ford owner!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OH SNAP!!! First time Ford owner!!

Hello everyone...I am 38 years old and having come from a strictly hardcore GMC family I never owned a Ford and prob is the first person in my family to own one in the past 50 years. So wish me luck b/c if my new to me 03 F250 even blows a fuse I am gonna get a world of #%#@ from my kin..
Although i am new to fords I have had diesels before, in 2006 i bougt a new gmc 3500 srw duramax which I adored but lost in a divorce and was forced to down grade to a 2008 chevy reg cab half ton, The chevy has run like a champ since mile one and has never given me any issues but i recently acquired a new 25ft camper(4200lbs empty) and even though it is not a very heavy trailer .. the chevy just hates it. My 5.3 gasser just does not want to work so i am trading her in for a 03 F250 extended cab short box 6.0 diesel
I have been reading tons about the 6.0, some great and some scary but with the budget i have the 6.0 is the only diesel i can afford so it was up to me to try and find a decent one.
Most of the 6.0's in my budget (max 17000.00) were above the 120k mark which did not bother much b/c most diesel are just getting warmed up by then but the problem i was having is that i live in a salted area so most of the trucks i found were just rust boxes.. on one truck i was actually able to pull out pieces of the bed crossmembers.. i was just about to give up when i decided I would try to bump up my max budget to 18k and see what autotrader found.. there was a Ford dealer near my brothers house which was advertising a 6.0 with only 68k for 17995.. i called the dealer and they told me they were taking this truck on trade but it did not arrive yet. I gave the dealer my info and forgot all about him till he called me a week later and told me he had the truck in so i went to check it out.. the truck is a 03 F250 extended cab 4x4 in vermillion red in very nice shape..it does have some signs of starting rust in the usual spots (bottom of drivers door and corners of cab) but the frame and undercarriage was very solid, after getting the dealer to pull an autocheck and an oassis report it turns out the truck was orignally purchased at this dealer as well serviced here its whole life by one owner. They appraised my chevy and after the usual battle i got them down to a out the door price (tax dmv included) of $13500.00.. i just about filled my pants i was so excited, a nice condition F250 with only 68k for $13500 WOOT!!! ..there are some issues which they are going to correct before i pick it up.. trucks front end was a little sloppy and possibly a u joint that needs to be replaced so i am hoping they get it all fixed today so I can pick her up.. i will post some pics as soon as i get her..
As far as my own touches i am planning to add a sinister-diesel coolant filter,the "blue spring" fix and possibly a mild programmer such as hypertech (still gotta research more on the programmer).. thanks for reading and wish me luck, i look foward to chatting with you guys as i explore my first Ford... Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Congrats on your purchase Scott!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for joining the Ford Family! You may want to consider head studs and an egr delete right off the bat and it will greatly reduce the chance of issues down the road (speaking from the experience of owneing a fleet of 6.0's!) they are nice trucks and get better mileage than the newer ones.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Some pics of my new 6.0

Thought I would just throw up some pics of my soon to be mine F250.. Dealer just had to installed 4 new tires to pass NYS inspection WOOT!!!.. Very happy about the free sneakers!! Can't wait to pick her up on Monday
Attached Thumbnails
OH SNAP!!! First time Ford owner!!-010.jpg   OH SNAP!!! First time Ford owner!!-003.jpg   OH SNAP!!! First time Ford owner!!-002.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The first thing you should get is a monitor to find out the health of the engine... If something is wrong you will be able to tell and fix it before it causes injector or Head Gasket problems!!!

The common ones are:
Scangauge2, Edge CS, Edge CTS

For tuning your 6.0... Their is Nothing better or safer for your engine/tranny then getting an SCT tuner with custom tunes written for your vehicle

Oh and

Last edited by Six0~Stroker; 08-10-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Welcome to the org.!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Fifth Wheeler w/ Diesel

Welcome to Powerstroke Org. You got a nice looking truck

Edit: All I owned before this F250 (mid July) was GMC gas trucks...

Last edited by can05f250; 08-11-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
The first thing you should get is a monitor to find out the health of the engine... If something is wrong you will be able to tell and fix it before it causes injector or Head Gasket problems!!!

The common ones are:
Scangauge2, Edge CS, Edge CTS

For tuning your 6.0... Their is Nothing better or safer for your engine/tranny then getting an SCT tuner with custom tunes written for your vehicle

Oh and
Thanks for the welcome everyone!!!!
Stroker...
This is something I just started researching and I am having a little trouble as which to choose... I have a smaller travel trailer (max 6100lbs fully loaded realistically probably never gets above 5500lbs) and would like to have a pyro to watch the egt but since that is prob the heaviest i will ever tow as we just got this trailer and plan on keeping it the next 4 years I am not sure if the egt is really necessary for me to monitor.. the only one out of the above listed that has the egt capability is the insight cts with an added sensor.. making the cost of the gauges close to $500.00 not including the install of the sensor.. little steep for me but i would try to find away to swing it if it that important.. the ct and scanguage II seem to be very close in function other than the ct being the nicer display of the 2 but I dont care about looks.. function is all i am worried about.. so I think I am leaning toward the scangaugeII as an added push for the scangauge autozone has specials running all the time on online orders that could get me upto $50.00 off the scanguage II... any input from anyone out there would be awesome!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you don't care about looks then get the scangauge 2... its what I have and it works great. You'll just need two mechanical gauges also... fuel pressure and egt.

Since you are tuning your truck, you really should have it cuz the egt gets up their even without a trailer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by Six0~Stroker; 08-11-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Welcome to the ORG, Scott!

Eli is giving you good advice. Whenever you load up a tune different from stock, the EGTs seem to skyrocket. Monitoring these 6.0s are top priority. In addition to the EGTs, you'll want to keep an eye on your EOT and ECT. If they're more than 15* apart from each other (while going 55 on a nice flat long stretch, after the truck is warmed up) then you've got an oil cooler problem. Since your truck has such low miles, I don't think you'll have an issue. One thing that you may want to consider is switching to a Cat EC-1 Regulated ELC coolant.

There's plenty of good reads in the 6.0 section, check them out whenever you get a chance - and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to the ORG! And the blue oval family! Great looking rig too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.