New diesel owner! Got the 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New diesel owner! Got the 6.4

Hi, just switch over from a Titan to a used 08 fx4. Wanted it for the diesel power and 4x4. On the down side I bought it used from a dealer in San Diego took it to a dealer by my house in Riverside and already spending 300$ on oil change, drain plug replacment(who ever did it before i bought it messed it up), oil leak from the oil dip stick area (covered under powertrain), radiator flush(who ever owned it before me put the wrong coolant in it apperently), and the dealer is charging me to tell me what the key code is for the truck. Just hoping after this all is good.

Couple of things do most of you guys change your own fuel filters? They seem easy enough to get to so I thought that would be something I would do my self. Any idea on a cost for them?

Any must have mods for the 08 super dutys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews

What color coolant did it have and what do they want to put in there?
Key code I got for free seems cheesy to charge.

Mods:
For best reliability and health of your motor you should delete your DPF (change the whole exhuast) do an EGR delete, and get a tuner (H&S, Spartan, or KEM tunes)

Enjoy the power of a diesel
Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post

What color coolant did it have and what do they want to put in there?
Key code I got for free seems cheesy to charge.

Mods:
For best reliability and health of your motor you should delete your DPF (change the whole exhuast) do an EGR delete, and get a tuner (H&S, Spartan, or KEM tunes)

Enjoy the power of a diesel
To the OP - First, Glad to have you - to the ORG!!

Unforturately, you live in CA where, in certain counties, they do bi-annual "SMOG" checks. All the emissions stuff that should be there, needs to be there otherwise you fail the visual inspection part. If you don't want to put everything back every two years, it may not be worth doing the deletes. Just sayin'.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:23 PM

the coolant was the green, from reading the maintance guide you should use the yellow i think.

It is cheesy to charge for the key code I think too.

I have been reading up about the DPF delete. Not sure what is the best option for me looking at the h&s XRT for the price. But still unsure of the capabilities of all the tuners. Just want someting cost effective. Is there a big difference between the XRT or the mini max other than the mini max you can monitor temps and such. Do they both do transmission tunes?

I think the first thing I wll do is but in a new cold air intake. Any body with info on differences between the AFE, S&B, or banks? Leaning towards the S&B because it seems to be the cheapest and still good performance.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
To the OP - First, Glad to have you - to the ORG!!

Unforturately, you live in CA where, in certain counties, they do bi-annual "SMOG" checks. All the emissions stuff that should be there, needs to be there otherwise you fail the visual inspection part. If you don't want to put everything back every two years, it may not be worth doing the deletes. Just sayin'.
How big of a job is it to switch out? 2 hours? Did you do yours? It wouldent be bad to change out once every two years or find a "friendly" smog shop. Not sure though because this is my first diesel and I'm still learning.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would go from green to red ELC!
Don't put in FORD yellow/gold coolant (it's not good either)

The minimax is the most popular option.
Yes, I forgot about the intake, you will need one. S&B is the popular choice for a good price and filters great. I am looking for one right now actually. AFE is overpriced but good.

ANYTHING BANKS is overpriced and NOT worth it!!!
All talk no show
Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathfly View Post
How big of a job is it to switch out? 2 hours? Did you do yours? It wouldent be bad to change out once every two years or find a "friendly" smog shop. Not sure though because this is my first diesel and I'm still learning.
See my sig - I don't have any DPF to switch out. I've read about guys who are dreading the SMOG checks because they are deleted. Some owners who have pre-'08 trucks have had to scramble around to get cats or figure how they are going put their EGR stuff back in.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Fifth Wheeler w/ Diesel

Welcome to the Org. I have an 05 and the door code is printed on a label on the computer enclosure. It was a little hard to see but less than 15 minutes and I could read the 5 digit code and then switched it to my personal code (The factory code always works, too.) Cost nothing and now I know where it is if I need it again
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

Welcome to the org.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.