New Member From Cleveland Ohio - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Member From Cleveland Ohio

Hello all. Huge gearhead here hence the name, I own a 2003 Mercury Marauder, and a 2007 Ford Edge for the wife. I have always had a thing for diesel trucks, but have never owned one. I dont own a PSD yet, but hopefully soon. I am actually going down to Akron tomorrow to check out an 04 F350 SRW 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4. Only reason I am hesitant is it has 215,000 on the odometer. We shall see how it goes. Anyway, thanks for having me. Here is the one I am going to look at..

Cars for Sale: 2004 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat in Akron, OH 44301: Truck Details - 324695879 - AutoTrader.com

Has a nice long service record. Hoping it checks out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Goodluck tmr. Hopefully that psd can check out for yah!

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-08-2012, 03:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome Aboard! Hopefully you know more about the 6oh's than I do. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the org! I have a buddy that does tint work who lives almost across the street from that dealer. I was out there on Friday and saw that truck. Almost stopped to look at it. Looks pretty clean, he has a couple decent looking super duty trucks right now. I've looked at a couple of his trucks in the past but never dealt with him.
Let us know how it works out. Do you have any way to check the deltas for eot and ect? With higher miles you want to know how the oil cooler is doing, etc. Maybe one of the members on here can get you an oasis report on the truck also

Sent from my DROID3
Old 07-08-2012, 03:40 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Welcome to the org.!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM
The Silent Service

Howdy, and welcome to the ORG.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks fellas, I had to reschedule so I am going tomorrow to look at it. Anything obvious I should look for? I know the cooling system in the 6.0 is something to be aware of.. but is there anything I can visually see to help me out. I am going to post a thread to hopefully get an oasis report. It looks like there are 20 something service records on the car fax, but it doesn't show repairs.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:15 PM
The Silent Service

Link doesn't work for me.

My advice is to have a monitor to plug into the truck when you look at it, or take it to a Ford shop and have a full diagnostic run.

Most issues will show electronically with minimal/no visual indication.

--EGR failure, white smoke at startup/idle. (do not invest any time or money in it- find another truck unless its a very low price and you are willing to do the work)
--FICM voltage, if its low it will lead to hard starts and injector failures.
--Aftermarket Intakes, take it off and visually inspect the turbo for wear.
--Fuel Pressure (if equiped with a guage), if its over 75psi or under 45psi, expect injector issues.

--ECT/EOT delta at OT. This is the key reason for your monitor to be plugged in when you drive this thing. A delta of 15* means the oil cooler needs rebuilt/replaced along with the EGR cooler. This can only be seen on a monitor or by a shop. If the EGR cooler has failed, I'd find another truck.

Don't rely on the factory cluster to tell you anything about the 6.0L.
This covers what you need to look for: Along with standard used car checks.
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How much work/cost is it to replace the oil cooler, this is something i would like to do anyway. Also I want to put a filter on the cooling system.

Thank you for the help! This seems to be a great website.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 PM
The Silent Service

Filter is maybe a 45 min job, real easy. I have a dieselsite unit, and no issues.

The oil cooler is an 8 hr job per Ford. And you are basically tearing down to the heads, alternator, intake manifold, fuel and oil filters, all that stuff have to come out. Any of the jobs with the 6.0L are manageable for their owner, but I advise you get the right technical documents and be organized when you do it.

When you do your oil cooler for the first time it gives you a chance to solve 80% of the 6.0L's issues. You need to make a few key decisions when you do it: 1) Are you going to keep using Ford Gold Coolant, or a CAT EC-1 rated silicate-free? 2) How are you going to solve you EGR cooler (Upgrade, Block, or Delete)? 3) Are you going to continue running the OEM oil cooler, or switch to an External cooler?

Here's a thread to help answer some questions, any thing else, let me know:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

Bullet proofing starts with a monitor (its the only required modification from the start), everything further depends on where you want to take the truck and how soon you see the signs of problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.