Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Back To Diesel

2K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  straycat 
#1 ·
Hello all, Noob here. Going back to a Ford diesel after a two year screw up. Drove the tires off a '94 F-350 7.3T until '95. Went with a Cheby 1500 gas and hate the gutless feeling. Looking at either a 250 or 350, 4X4 Lariat or KR, price will be the factor. I found this site to have some pretty informed members so here I am.
My first Q is whether to get an end of year '07 6.0 or '08 6.4. The jury is still out but reliability is important as well as mileage. I pull a 23' ski boat or a 28' GN 5th wheel RV. Any help?
Thanks in advance. CHIP

#2 ·
Hi there! Welcome to the .ORG!!! We are definately glad to have you here!

As far as the trucks you are looking at - and price being a factor, I would go with the '07 as Ford is having a model year clearance right now - but that may also be just because I think the '08's are f'ugly. And it seems they got the bugs worked out of the 6.0 and it gets relatively good mileage from what I've seen on the boards.

Do you have kiddos? If so, a KR will only have 4 bucket seats where as the Lariat will have a bench in the back and do you pull the 5th wheel and boat at the same time? :) If not a 250 will do...

Again - welcome to the .org!!!

#3 ·
I'd go with the 07. I wouldn't think about the new 08 (personal choice) until a couple of years into production to get the bugs worked out.
Also WELCOME TO THE SITE!

#4 ·
I only pull, or will be pulling one at a time. I've just bought the RV and the 1/2 T is strained. Kids? Yea, I have two but they are at Texas A&M, so not normally passengers. I'm leaning towards the '07 KR due to the comments and reputation of the early 6.0 and fear of something new. Sure it's warranted, but downtime $ucks. They don't cover MY time in a guarantee.

#8 ·
I have a 22' 5er and a 20' boat that would strain the 1/2 ton also pulling just one - exact reason I bought my F250 :) And now I can pull both :D

As for the kids - if grown, then KR will be great - nice roomy bucket seats :chicken:

and the early 6.0's had a few issues - but an '07 would be okay. the '08 on the other hand is still being proven.....

#5 ·
:welcome1: to the ORG!! Go with the 07'. 08's still gettin the bugs worked out from what I hear.

#9 ·
yep I would def. try to find a new 07 6.0 at 0% interest

#11 ·
First :welcome1:. Second I would get the 08. Everybody keeps saying they arent proven yet. Well if nobody buys it how can it be proven. My sister just bought a 08 350 to pull her 4 horse w/16 ft living quarters. Anyway truck and trailer full tank fuel and holding tanks weighted in at 24,580 lbs and she was able to keep 85 mph with no problem. She went to MO and back and had no problems other than fuel mileage which was around 7 but what do you expect with 25,000 lbs runnning 85.

#12 ·
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
:welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1:​

#15 ·
:welcome1::welcome1::welcome1::welcome1:

#16 ·
Thanks for the offer, dumaisk. I ranch south Texas, and can't do without the 4X4. It's either deep sand or deep mud.
Thanks for the welcome, all.

#18 ·
Whoop AGGIES!!!

#21 ·

you forgot to write "them" in there.....

LMAO, but hey im a Sooner fan!!

welcome aboard, youll like it here.

#24 ·
:welcome1: Welcome to the ORG.!

#26 ·
Welcome! And I would go with the 07. I have an 06 and i love the 6.0. Yeah the twin turbos sound nice but my 6.0 runs great.

#27 ·
The stealer informed me that there are no '07 KR in 250 or 350 in Texas or Oklahoma, so just get an '08.( I've got just what you are looking for, right here on this lot). Guess I'll be calling another stealer. I hate when that happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.