Thinking of Selling my Lightning for a F-250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bda01SVT
Thinking of Selling my Lightning for a F-250

Hello All!

Currently i have a 2001 Ford Lightning, its got everything on it except for a built shortblock, and an aftermarket blower... the power it makes is awesome, its a rush to drive and its fun...

BUT im now almost 30 years old, looking to get married and the mileage on it (10mpg if im nice) as well as the maintenance on it is killing me...the truck is neither a sports car nor a truck, i cant haul anything with it as its too low, and i cant tear around in it cause its not reliable as a track car and a bit slower than a cheap mustang would be (its a mid to low 12 sec truck)

i was looking into a big truck but something that got better mileage than my lightning... and i saw the over abundance of F-250s out there... i really like the the 05-06 F250 Harley.

I have been snooping around for a while and reading up and i am wondering if anyone has ever made a "What to look for when buying a used Diesel?"... im hoping to pick one up next spring, but being the car person i am i hate not knowing anything about a major car purchase, ill research it and test drive 10-20 trucks before i even start looking to buy one.

Also, i wont use it to Tow much, mainly a car transport trailer every now and again, or a trailer of toys. My concern is how reliable are these trucks, and what would be a decent hot street setup... i dont plan on being a full on drag racer, but it would be fun to have the ability to whoop on my friends mustangs every now and then...

i look forward to any imput you guys might have, and maybe someday soon ill be posting about my new truck!:burnout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 02:24 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bda01SVT View Post

I have been snooping around for a while and reading up and i am wondering if anyone has ever made a "What to look for when buying a used Diesel?"...
Talk about being in luck...
What to look for when buying a used PSD
Old 05-23-2007, 02:25 PM
International Threat

If you're going to go with a 6.0 I'd recommend at least an 05 or newer. These can be high 13 second trucks with just an SCT in a Crewcab configuration.

Relability goes to the 7.3's but the newer 6.0's are proving themselves.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
and to the ORG.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys! Im finding so many mods that i like (propane, methanol, NO2, etc) its gonna take me months just to figure out what is the best bet for what i am looking for... which is mainly reliability and drivability.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:49 PM
The Fat Mod

I have had both. The 7.3s are not as fast, but more reliable. The 6.0s maynot be as reliable, but are a good bit faster and easier to get more HP out of. Sooo...with that being said, what are you looking for? The Torque shift Trannies in the 6.0s are proving to be the best tranny of any put behind the powerstrokes. Maintaince on these are high, and about the same for both. So no plus either way there. Good luck and keep us posted, I am sure you will find something to ask about during your quest for the perfect powerstroke.

And... to the ORG
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 PM
The Fat Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bda01SVT View Post
Thanks guys! Im finding so many mods that i like (propane, methanol, NO2, etc) its gonna take me months just to figure out what is the best bet for what i am looking for... which is mainly reliability and drivability.
Drugs are bad umkay. I would stay away from the pane, water/meth is not too bad as long as you use a lot more water than meth, and NO2, well, it is what it is.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:57 PM
International Threat

Get your power on good ole #2 only - say no to drugs
Old 05-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Drugs are bad umkay. I would stay away from the pane, water/meth is not too bad as long as you use a lot more water than meth, and NO2, well, it is what it is.

Hmm So the propane isnt bad? i thought it increased mileage? are theere other things that can be done to make the mileage go up? i was looking at the 18K unit...

as far reliability, im just looking for something that will get me to work and back and a little play... i dont expect to just put gas in it for 10 years and nothing else... but im not looking for something thats gonna pop... i bought my lightning and the motor popped 3 months later (and i had ZERO mods on it; previous owner beat it up and traded it in).... im looking for somehting that i can put a few mods on, and drive...

NO2 is soo much fun though guys! i dont do drugs but i love how quick some of these NO2 trucks are... it wouldnt be a regular thing, only at the track, and only on occasion... we have a rice 1/8th mile out here so EGT temps wouldnt get too bad...

a 12.9 et in the 1/4 or a 8.2 in the 1/8th is the max id look for... ever!... mainly id use it to pull the trailer with the race car on it..
Old 05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcome to the Forum!

Just do a little homework, and get ready to blow some smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.