Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HOWDY!

449 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  zburntfox 
#1 ·
I am about to step into the world of 7.3L Diesels. I have a new job that will have me working in remote locations in W. Texas, New Mexico, Eastern Arizona, and Southern Colorado. I need a reliable vehicle with 4x4. So a good friend is willing to sell me his 2000 7.3l Limited Excursion 4x4. His wife is European and thinks its just too big. He said he would rather sell to me than random folks.

The truck has minor issues, needs new seals on the doors, basic wear and tear for for a 17yr old truck. The main thing he has mentioned is the transmission might need some work, and to be honest that is something I would get fixed before i bring out to these remote locations.

I may wind up asking some silly questions due to my inexperience with diesels, so bear with me. 1st question would be did the 7.3L 4x4 Excursion use the same
transmission and transfer case as the 7.3L 4x4 trucks? From what I read, they came equipped with a Dana 50 in the front.

Thank you.

#2 ·
Welcome to the ORG!
@AzPatMan can probably answer your questions...

#4 ·
In my quick interwebz search I found a 4R100 built my Monster transmission for $1600, it comes with a new tq converter and a new transmission cooler for a 350HP/600tq HD tranny. It claims it is just an upgraded Heavy Duty Transmission which is all I need right now. seems a heck of a lot better than a rebuild especially with the warranty.

sound like a decent deal?

#5 ·
I've often found that the monster transmissions for the diesels are a bit iffy on their pricing.
If you really want a 4r100, that's built - talk to @Corey@CNCFAB for the transmissions he carries from Sam Wyse.

Also - bit of a correction, the front axles in the Ex are a high pinon dana 60 (but the 50's parts are pretty much the same as the 60's.), and the rears are the sterlings.

#7 ·
Well, I was home for a grand total of 5 days and did not get the chance to catch up with my buddy to check out the excursion.
going to hook a scan-gauge OBDII to it to see if there are any codes I should worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.