Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Intro- Just bought a 6.0 PSD

626 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  daK9er 
#1 · (Edited)
Good evening everyone. Just joined the club by purchasing a 2006 F350 PSD DRW with 49k miles. It's well taken care of truck IMHO for $22k and completely stock. I bought the truck to pull a 35 ft RV with a good chance to pull a fifth wheel in the near future.

I've been on this site for a couple weeks researching about the 6.0 and pulled the trigger to buy one. I put most of money in buying the truck and have a few bucks left over. I got the Scanguage II to monitor gauges and this weekend, I plan on changing oil with synthetic, fuel filters, and a coolent flush while installing a coolant filter. I think that should hold me over the summer and depending on $$$, I'll do a bulletproof oil/egr cooler and Arp studs in the winter.

I am skeptical though, with the condition of this truck and how well It has been taken care of (all maintenance completed on time), maybe I should just leave it stock as much as possible and when the temps showing a need for a repair on coolers, I should do the above then. Your thoughts?

#4 ·
Congrats on the new PSD. The guy ever drive that thing? Lol

Cattle ranch truck. Owner used it a couple times a year for hauling. Kept it in the barn when not used. He had a 1/2 ton to drive around most of the time. I think I got a lucky find.

I come from the theory that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. There are plenty of trucks that have gone well over 100k with no studs. However, I would change out the coolant and get rid of the Ford Gold that is in there and go with a good CAT ELC equivalent.
I follow that philosophy too... most of the time. I guess I'll have the summer to think about it and see how she runs. I am going with Rotella or Zerex, depends what I find in my small town.

#5 ·
An egr delete can save your head gaskets. Or at least prolong their life considerably. Granted they aren't blown to begin with.
Of any mod, I would take care of that first and foremost.
May as well do the stc fitting and dummy plugs while you're at it.. Almost be a waste not to do the oil cooler while the intake is off. Can crack the turbo open while it's out and make sure it's all kosher.
You will need a tuner to keep the light off for 06.

Egr delete
Hpo updates
Oil cooler
Decent tow tune/monitor.

That can be done over a weekend in the driveway and require a moderate skill level.
Those are some of the higher priorities. Just my opinion tho.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 6.0. sounds like a nice truck.

#6 ·
Welcome to the site...sounds like you found a nice one! :ORG welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.