Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New in town, what do I need to know for the PS?

591 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  1AAuto.com 
#1 · (Edited)
Coming from having a 06 Dmax ccsb and GM anything being prone to failure, what should I look out for on the power stroke? Ive heard 04 and later isnt as good.

my dmax had 338k when i got it and it needed a lot of work... trans, inj, suspension everything, fuel lines, rear main and turbo drain oil line, egr cooler, oil cooler... gm stuff.

also, what are the mpg id be looking at? i had a 2500 and was getting 17 around city and up to 22 hwy. I see a good looking 95 350 that might have some work done.. intercooler badge says it all, ya know?

#4 ·
So Ive narrowed it down some to the 99-03. What concerns should I have with this era? What mileage is bordering too much? Of course condition of it all will play a factor. I retired the duramax I had at 398k. It was riddled with problems the entire time. I want to avoid that this time since we will be pulling a 5ther.

#9 ·
Be aware that a 2003.5 isn't the same as a 2003. 2003.5 you will get a 6.0 Liter not a 7.3

The easiest way to look at tell the difference, is if the badge on the door that says "Power Stroke" is red, it is a 6.0 liter. If it's black, it is a 7.3

Hope that helps!

#5 ·
You can look in here: Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L Forums - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum - good info in there.

The 7.3L is a very strong engine. It has a reputation for being very reliable. Personally, mine (see my signature and Garage) has 232,8## and runs very well. I've had it since '05 and have put about 125,000 miles on it. I do regular maintenance and try to take care of things when they break. It is my daily driver and I pull a 12k 5th wheel several times a year. In the 11 years I've owned it, normal stuff like batteries (2 sets), alternator (1), ball joints (both sides), UVCH (driver's side), the front seal on the transmission, radiator (1). Glow plugs, injectors, HPOP, turbo are the same ones that have been on the truck since I've owned it.

#8 ·
There is nothing wrong with a 6.0 if you do the research and know what to expect and how to address it.

Reactions: Patriot and WD40
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.