Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Buying my first diesel truck, 7.3 or 6.0?

539 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  6 OH 250 
#1 ·
I have a limited budget and I am looking at early and mid '00 Ford F-250 and f 350 trucks.

All things being equal which would you choose?

Also, would you buy a 7.3 with 50k more miles than a 6.0?

Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
Limited budget, no 6.0. Unless you want to spend every extra penny you get on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
In my opinion, I tend to agree with wagoneer. The 6.0 is a real decent engine. Makes a lot of power, good fuel milage, BUT is a pretty needy engine as far as maintenance. You can't neglect your coolant maintenance, oil changes, or fuel filters. There are many more things to keep an eye on from day to day on a 6.0 than a 7.3. The 7.3 is a great engine, and is more forgiving than a 6.0. the bad part is it is getting really hard to find a low milage truck with a 7.3. Especially here in the rust belt. This site has plenty of info to help you with a decision. Good luck and welcome!

#8 ·
Glad to hear that jamesm5977! They are a great engine, they just need more attention than the old 7.3's do. I flushed the coolant system in mine a while ago to change over to an elc coolant and put a coolant filter in. The flush finished plugging my oil cooler. Guess what I'm doing this weekend? He he. Oh well. Time for an EGR cooler as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.