New member soon to be from Oregon - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Introductions This is the place that you introduce yourself

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New member soon to be from Oregon

I bought a 2002 F250 CC SB Lariat 4x4 P-stroke about 5 months ago. Truck is Gray/Blk two tone and Gray interior with center console. So far the truck has been o.k. but I've had a few troubles.

First off, I think it has some "undocumented" water/flood damage. Carfax, etc was clean, but fog lights are all rusty inside and I have had some odd electrical problems mostly related to harness connections - 4x4 wouldn't engage at all. Granted, the truck lived all of its life in Corpus Christi, TX up to this point, so perhaps the salt water in the air is responsible for this.

Anyway, I'm starting to like the truck more as I have it longer. I finally found this forum - which was probably one of the biggest things I felt was missing. The chevy community has great support forums - probably due to the rarity of the 6.2/6.5 and lack of mechanics who are comfortable working on them. Now that I have found a powerstroke forum, I can fix my own truck again!

First problem to tackle is the random misses and occasional stalling. From what I have read, it appears the CPS is most likely at fault. I am hoping to replace that in the next week so I can give the truck a fair chance. It's hard to like something that gives up on you.

Next problem is the vacuum hubs on the 4x4. I have to manually lock the hubs in order to get 4WD. I can hear the vac pump running like crazy when I engage 4x4 with the hubs in auto mode, but the front wheels aren't engaged (despite 4x4 light on). I also notice that when I put it in 4x4, the air starts coming out the defog vents - I can only assume there is a vac leak somewhere in the hub system and when engaged, it depletes the system to the point where the A/C deflector door can't stay in place anymore and defog must be the default.

I have been a long time diesel owner, but this is my first venture in to Ford territory in the diesel arena. Past diesels have been:
1991 Chevy 1/2 ton 6.2L N/A Ext cab pickup
1999 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5L Turbo Suburban (I miss this one)
1995 Chevy 1/2 ton 6.5L Turbo Ext cab pickup

A bit about myself:
I was employed as an electronics engineer for the last five years (until late 2005). I'm now in the military, currently at Moody AFB in Valdosta, GA but soon to be moving to Klamath Falls, OR. I'm married with 2 dogs, but no kids (yet).

I have spent some time researching and dabbling in homemade biodiesel, but nothing too serious. I ran it in the 1995 listed above with no problems.

I look forward to participating in the forums!

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 05:57 PM
im fat and ugly

Old 02-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Welcome aboard, glad you could join us!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuck View Post
I bought a 2002 F250 CC SB Lariat 4x4 P-stroke about 5 months ago. Truck is Gray/Blk two tone and Gray interior with center console. So far the truck has been o.k. but I've had a few troubles.

First off, I think it has some "undocumented" water/flood damage. Carfax, etc was clean, but fog lights are all rusty inside and I have had some odd electrical problems mostly related to harness connections - 4x4 wouldn't engage at all. Granted, the truck lived all of its life in Corpus Christi, TX up to this point, so perhaps the salt water in the air is responsible for this.

Anyway, I'm starting to like the truck more as I have it longer. I finally found this forum - which was probably one of the biggest things I felt was missing. The chevy community has great support forums - probably due to the rarity of the 6.2/6.5 and lack of mechanics who are comfortable working on them. Now that I have found a powerstroke forum, I can fix my own truck again!

First problem to tackle is the random misses and occasional stalling. From what I have read, it appears the CPS is most likely at fault. I am hoping to replace that in the next week so I can give the truck a fair chance. It's hard to like something that gives up on you.

Next problem is the vacuum hubs on the 4x4. I have to manually lock the hubs in order to get 4WD. I can hear the vac pump running like crazy when I engage 4x4 with the hubs in auto mode, but the front wheels aren't engaged (despite 4x4 light on). I also notice that when I put it in 4x4, the air starts coming out the defog vents - I can only assume there is a vac leak somewhere in the hub system and when engaged, it depletes the system to the point where the A/C deflector door can't stay in place anymore and defog must be the default.

I have been a long time diesel owner, but this is my first venture in to Ford territory in the diesel arena. Past diesels have been:
1991 Chevy 1/2 ton 6.2L N/A Ext cab pickup
1999 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5L Turbo Suburban (I miss this one)
1995 Chevy 1/2 ton 6.5L Turbo Ext cab pickup

A bit about myself:
I was employed as an electronics engineer for the last five years (until late 2005). I'm now in the military, currently at Moody AFB in Valdosta, GA but soon to be moving to Klamath Falls, OR. I'm married with 2 dogs, but no kids (yet).

I have spent some time researching and dabbling in homemade biodiesel, but nothing too serious. I ran it in the 1995 listed above with no problems.

I look forward to participating in the forums!

Ryan
Ryan thats great We will have to hoke up when you get settled in KFalls I am about 120 miles from there:burnout .
Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Premium Member

Ryan, Welcome to Powerstroke, glad to have you here. your best bet to get answers on the problems your having is to put it in the general discussion forum. Sounds like your on the right track with the vacuum leak and the CPS, but the big guns will be able to give you more info, I know there is a vacuum canister on the drivers side inner fender that is often a problem, and if it's not getting enough vac to the hubs it will not engage them. they will also not engage if they are dirty inside as well, and if it was in a flood, that could be compounding the problem, as well as causing the electrical problems. Hope that helps some.

Gord.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:25 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Welcom to the Forum, Ryan!
Old 02-12-2007, 03:15 AM
The Fat Mod

To POWERSTROKE.ORG

Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
WELCOME to Powerstroke.org Ryan - great to have you on board with us!
Old 02-12-2007, 03:51 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Welcome to the Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.