Mechanic recommendation near Louisville / Southern Indiana - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Indiana Members Indiana Powerstroke.org Members Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mechanic recommendation near Louisville / Southern Indiana

Long time lurker - first time poster,

Have a 2001 7.3L 4X4 with approximately 140K. I bought it two years ago with 134K. As far as can tell, it is all stock. Over the last 12 months (only about 3,000 miles though), I have noticed a mpg drop (15 down to 9-10) and what I would describe as a power-loss over the last year. The truck is used primarily to haul a 12,000 lb 5th wheel camper. I change oil, filter and fuel filter once a year.

Last fall I put new IC boots (dieselsite.com) on because I noticed oil seeping out of mine. The old ones were very worn, thin and one had a tear. After this, I noticed a little more power and was able to hear a "turbo whistle" sound. It was much louder than before. MPG hasn't really picked up and it still doesn't seem to have the power it originally had. A friend borrowed my truck and said that he noticed exhaust noise. I'm not 100% I can hear that as I mostly just hear engine noise. From reading here, it appears at least new doughnuts or bellowed uppipes would help this?

Also, at the same time, I've also noticed an uptick in oil consumption. I am using a quart of oil every 600-800 miles. There is no smoke, other than a quick white puff during a cold start (first one of the day usually). There are no leaks. When I changed my fuel filter last month, it was dark black. It seemed more gritty / sandy than oily. I read on one of the forums that this could be a sign of an injector o-ring deteriorating thus allowing me to burn my oil as fuel. Not sure if that is correct or not?

I've had brakes checked for a hanging caliper and they tested ok.

All that being said, I'd like to find someone who can help me with these problems as I am not mechanically inclined. I'm not sure if I am dealing with one or two problems or if I have even diagnosed them properly. I live in Southern Indiana (Jeffersonville) but can easily get over to Louisville for a good mechanic.

Thanks for your help,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 PM

Louisville

This post might not help but I'm in need of a good diesel mechanic too. I live in Louisville and I can't seem to find a good shop. Some here help us?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey East End, good luck in your search. Will let you know if I come across anyone. I used to live (and my folks still do) out near the Summit Shopping Center. Are you near there?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
"Diesel Injection Service" can hook you guys up. They are a little pricey, but they know there ****. You can find their # in the phone book.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian918 View Post
Hey East End, good luck in your search. Will let you know if I come across anyone. I used to live (and my folks still do) out near the Summit Shopping Center. Are you near there?
Yep. I live within a mile. Not far from the Ford plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.