In Indianapolis - NEED HELP W/ TRUCK - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Indiana Members Indiana Powerstroke.org Members Forum

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 01:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In Indianapolis - NEED HELP W/ TRUCK

I have now been stricken with the infamous EGR problems and I need some help.
This is my first diesel and I have had it for about 4.5 months and put around 7000 miles on it. Up until now it has been great. It is an 04 f250 4 door lariat with the 6.0 motor. It has 122,800 miles on it.

It is at a dealership right now and they are telling me I need egr, egr cooler, oil cooler, head gaskets (not sure if gaskets are bad but are saying to be safe while they are in there) - $5100.....

I really can't afford to spend $5100 on these repairs right now and I think it is really high. They said I could buy an egr delete and give it to them and that would save me around $800 which would bring me to $4300.

Does anyone know of any good diesel mechanics that do side work? A good diesel shop that is not too far from Indianapolis that would be cheaper than a dealership?

I know this is a lot to ask but I need help, I am willing to help turn a wrench on it, but I need someone who knows what they are doing. I will still pay good money for this to be done, I just think the price I have is way too high.

Any suggestions would help.
THanks

Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
where in indy are you? i would definitely buy the egr delete to get rid of half of the 6oh problems. head studs for the head gaskets is the other big thing 6oh guys need to put in their trucks. did they say your head gaskets are bad or are they trying to scare you into un-needed repairs? what is wrong with the oil cooler? is it leaking or is it fubar? also what dealer are you at?

alright i just looked up the parts you need and the total was 1360 bucks. the egr delete - head gaskets - oil cooler! that makes 3000 in labor they are asking and thats if you need the head gaskets. ford will rape you on the parts prices so if you can make it to wabash trucks on 70 & holt rd they are the powerstrokeshop.com people and they will save you another couple hundred for the oil cooler and head gaskets and the egr delete you can get from itp diesel for 550 bucks. i would definitely buy the parts yourself and look for a diesel shop to do the work or you can find some guys on here that are 6.0 guys to help you on the weekend. i would be more than willing to lend you a hand however im a 7.3 guy so i havent torn into a 6.0 yet. if you want a good diesel shop there is one in terre haute called SCHEIDS if you can get your truck that far. they are a big diesel shop but are predominately cummins guys but will work on anything. i doubt youll spend anywhere near 3000 for the install of those products if you take it elsewhere........

let me do some more digging for you...........

Last edited by indyF-350psd; 09-25-2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:40 PM

shoot this guy a pm and ask him a few ?'s regarding help. he lives in bloomington and seems to know his way around a 6.0

this guy ----> dhanna6powerstroke
Old 09-25-2009, 03:54 AM

Hey thanks for helping me out. I am located on the southside of Indy around Greenwood.

What the dealer is currently trying to tell me is that I have a bad egr and egr cooler. They told me that most of the time the oil cooler is messed up as well if i have the other problems. Then they told me that my headgaskets MIGHT be bad but they dont know. If they go in and do all the work, and then put it back together and the headgaskets are found to be bad, then they will have to tear it all down again and fix the headgaskets. Atleast that is what they are telling me. I can't believe there is no way to test to see if my HGs are good or not. I have been wanting to find a local shop to do the work because I know they can do it cheaper than a dealer. I will try to call Scheids today and call powerstrokeshop.com and see if they have any suggestions for me.

The dealership is Capitol City Ford on Washington St. They have been really good to me and easy to work with, but their price is outrageous. I have actually put calls into a few other dealerships and Don Hinds on the north side said they could do it all for $3600 and that is with the delete. I still think that is too high, but atleast its a lot cheaper than the other dealer.

Hopefully I can get it somewhere today since I use this truck to drive everyday.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:46 AM

also try the wabash trucks that i mentioned last night. im pretty sure they are a service center as well. the new price sounds a lot better since thats only about 2000 in labor if you buy the parts. i would still definitely buy the stuff yourself it will be cheaper. head gaskets is a pretty big job if you can afford it i would definitely put some studs in when you do it...........
Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 AM

Well I called Wabash truck and they said they would do it for $3000 and I have to buy the delete kit. I think I am going to go with the elite diesel delete kit that costs $475. I am picking the truck up from the dealer today and taking it to wabash truck. He said he could have it done by the end of next week. I would love to do studs right now too, but that is an added expense that i dont need right now. will they be able to re-use the head bolts on it now or do they have to get new ones anyway? if they are including money in that cost for new bolts then i will just have them upgrade to studs. thanks for all the help. where abouts are you located?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 AM

i live in mooresville......

im not sure if they reuse the original head studs or not but im pretty sure that when you decide to upgrade later you can just take out one stud and replace but only one at a time torque to a certain amount then retorque again to a higher number. im actually looking at getting some studs myself since im starting to boost higher......

another thing to save you a little you might want to try mentioning you are a powerstrokeshop.com customer and that should save you a little on the parts. i know the first time i went in there i had looked up a part online and when i went in to buy it it was more money. i mentioned that i just looked it up on powerstrokeshop.com and they were like OH your pss.com customer and knocked it down another 30 bucks or so to the online price......
Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 AM

Look into Danville performance in Danville In. they are mainly a dmax shop but they do work on all of them, and seem to do good work. If you can get it to Clay City Ford they have one of the best diesel ford shops in the state i think. Also talk to dhanna he knows a lot about the 6o's
Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

I went today and picked it up from the original dealer I had taken it to and took it to Wabash Truck on the West side of Indy. They are going to take a look at it on Monday morning, but the guy at the counter told me that they typically do not ever see the head gaskets blow on completely stock trucks unless the driver just keeps pushing the truck really hard after it starts acting up. I definitely did not drive this thing hard after it started acting up and I got it in to the shop immediately. Hopefully I do not need head gaskets on the truck. I do not plan on a tuner anytime soon so there is no reason for gaskets right now if I do not need them. I will definitely be doing the delete on the truck though. I feel much better about having my truck at Wabash Truck. When I went into their garage everything in there was a Ford truck which made me feel good to know that they deal with Fords a lot.

I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 AM

Oh and I found out that with stock oem head gaskets, they supply new head bolts too. It apparently comes as a package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.